Base Malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopbrad

Reaction score
i have access to buy the following malts from a brewery.

Crisp Finest Marris Otter Ale Malt (UK)
Rahr Premium Pilsner Malt (US)
Weyermann Pilsner Malt (GER)
Chateau Pilsen Malt (BELGIUM)

No specialty malts yet. But i can get unmalted wheat from the market.

Looking for a few suggestions -

1. For an American Pale Ale / IPA Recipe with no specialty malts. Any suggestions on the Malt Bill?
I am thinking 1/2 Rahr pils, 1/2 Crisp MO. any unmalted wheat? is there a percentage i can stay under and not do a cereal mash?

2. For a wheat/summer ale. Would 1/2 pils and 1/2 unmalted wheat with a cereal mash give me a decent Wit or american wheat? would adding some marris otter be ok or out of style?

1. I'd leave the wheat out of it, and instead toast some 2 row in your oven to make approximate caramel/crystal (for color). MO will give a nuttier/breadier flavor than the straight two row (Pilsner). I love it, not strictly to style for an American IPA but if you're brewing it for you+yours, who cares?

2. Certainly should. I'd leave the MO out of it, personally, but it wouldn't kill your beer (I'd keep it towards a low percentage of your bill though, unless you want a nutty wheat). Kinda depends on your yeast options.

1. As much as I LOVE Crisp Maris Otter and use it as a base over American 2-row mostly, if you're shooting for an "American" pale ale I think it's probably best to use American grains. I mean, when I make my English Ale I use English grains, not American. Of course, you can still manage and come out with a great beer either way, just personal preference.

2. Unfortunately I've never used unmalted wheat but 50/50 is a perfect percentage for both styles.

Rev.

great idea on toasting some.
ive read alot of positive reviews of Maris Otter. it will be my first time using it. guess its time for some experimenting! :mug:

I would use one of the pilsner malts (and a lot of it), probably the US. And a long boil, 90 minutes or longer.

I've read that Brits often use 10% unmalted wheat flour in their beer, and they do single infusion mashes. So I'm going to try 90% Rahr pale ale malt and 10% white flour in my next brew just to see what happens. :)

MO is THE best base malt for anything except lagers. You can use it in Everything, in fact a beer brewed with U.S. two row/pale and 10% crystal(60 and under) would be just
MO and no crystal due to it's wonderful flavour profile.

1. As much as I LOVE Crisp Maris Otter and use it as a base over American 2-row mostly, if you're shooting for an "American" pale ale I think it's probably best to use American grains. I mean, when I make my English Ale I use English grains, not American. Of course, you can still manage and come out with a great beer either way, just personal preference.

Rev.

I'm w/Rev on this. I use Maris Otter on all my English Ales, and good old Am 2 Row for American style ales. I even use Munich for my copying other national ales into "German" ales. Same goes w/yeast and hops.

I've read that Brits often use 10% unmalted wheat flour in their beer, and they do single infusion mashes. So I'm going to try 90% Rahr pale ale malt and 10% white flour in my next brew just to see what happens. :)

umm, i dont know where you heard that, but imho don't do that your next brew. maybe you meant 10% unmalted wheat? even that i've never heard of being particular to english beers??

ive had a SMASH that a buddy did with MO and Amarillo. Good, but didnt knock my socks off.

would 50% pils have enough to convert 50% unmalted wheat in a cereal mash?

Back