Base grain 50# sacks, which ones?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you wouldn't mind. Trying to find places to reduce cost.

Thx

Will do. Where do you get your stuff from now? Their pricing on hops is better than cle brew but equipment is about the same if not more. I have yet to buy grain from grape and granary since starting all grain but can't be cheaper than label peelers, maybe? Ha...

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Don't forget to check the Group Buy section in the forum. You may find one in your area and get in on some great prices.

Thanks I will.. Just discovered the recipe area. Ha... Can't post in there. Don't have access.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Our local LHBS price for 2 row is $36 and thats before any sales, I suspect they are still making some money on that, I'd guess it depends very much on quantities ordered. Good price though.
http://morebeer.com/products/domestic-2row-50-lb-sack.html

This is my sourece :mug:

When I asked them once how they sell it so low, their answer was basically that they sell A LOT of sacks. So I'm sure they're still making a bit. Probably not much, but not at at total loss.

This is my sourece :mug:

When I asked them once how they sell it so low, their answer was basically that they sell A LOT of sacks. So I'm sure they're still making a bit. Probably not much, but not at at total loss.

Initial price is good, but ship adds $32.64, ouch...

I'm paying $39.50 for 2 row by the sack. I buy a bag when I get down to 20lbs as my grain container holds 70lbs. I'm going to start buying my smaller bill grains by the bag as well since I have sealable containers to keep them fresh in. I'll also sell to brew buddies at my cost just so we can make fewer trips to the LHBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew Talk while driving.

I buy 55 lb sacks that suit the style I'm working on at that given time but two really great versatile malts are floor malted Maris Otter or floor malted Bohemian Pilsner.

I use a lot of 2 row and Maris. That would be my personal choice. 2 row for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here are the prices at my local Whole Foods Market:
grainprices-62179.jpg

These prices beat my LHBS by $10-20 per sack

So I can get Belgian pilsner malt for about $1.07 per pound and I use if for my German and Belgian beers which is what I brew the most.

Here are the prices at my local Whole Foods Market:

These prices beat my LHBS by $10-20 per sack

So I can get Belgian pilsner malt for about $1.07 per pound and I use if for my German and Belgian beers which is what I brew the most.

huh, got one on the other side of town, wonder if they sell grain too? EDIT: Nope

If you wouldn't mind. Trying to find places to reduce cost.

Thx

Great place, HUGE too... seem to have just about everything. Owner Adam is a really nice guy. Was only there to snag the grain since my family was waiting for me in the car and was running late for a lunch thing but I will definitely be buying from them more often. I typically go down that way more in the summer since we visit family in the area more often. Adam said they have done pretty well online and trying to be very reasonable with their pricing... running it with very little margins but they want to keep the costs down so everyone wins. Another guy was picking up his 2-3 sacks as well from the Cleveland area so think they are pulling a lot of people from my area as well. If your within an hour or so from there check em out. He did indicate that more sales will come from time to time and to pay attention to the site or their emailed newsletter.

Just brewed my 2nd batch from the grains I purchased... reusing my hefe yeast I am proud to say I spent $11.06 for this batch! Nothing better than that.

That's only possible if the stores are selling it as a loss leader (which doesn't make any sense), or if they are essentially acting as their own wholesaler. Even $44 is quite cheap, depending on the brand.

Local homebrew shops are not going to sell you a bag of grain at a loss unless it is old or expired. They small businesses that are in business to make money. Sure they may not make 50%-100% profit off the sack of grain like many of the other items they sell in the store but they are making a profit. Example a shop I used to frequent paid wholesale $32.50 per sack of Briess 2 row they sold for $40. Not a huge mark up but a profit regardless. BTW their price per bag would have been lower if they were able to purchase in larger quantities from their malt supplier. :tank:

Edit: wow did not pay attention to the date on this :(

Local homebrew shops are not going to sell you a bag of grain at a loss unless it is old or expired. They small businesses that are in business to make money. Sure they may not make 50%-100% profit off the sack of grain like many of the other items they sell in the store but they are making a profit. Example a shop I used to frequent paid wholesale $32.50 per sack of Briess 2 row they sold for $40. Not a huge mark up but a profit regardless. BTW their price per bag would have been lower if they were able to purchase in larger quantities from their malt supplier. :tank:

Edit: wow did not pay attention to the date on this :(

They have to make something off it, considering lp has it usually cheap. Lp has 2 row up at $40 for a sack right now on sale. I'll be getting one even though I don't need it.

Latest posts

Back