Going bulk grain - need some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nobody's mentioned it yet (unless I overlooked it), but if you haven't already, join a local brew club. My brew club works with a couple of the local breweries where we can do group buys and the breweries will usually pick up the shipping costs. That will help you save a bit more money. Maybe hit up a couple of your favorite breweries to see if they would be willing to order you a sack when they do their next order too.

Hit your local grocer or bakeries for the 5 gallon, and other sized, buckets. Most of those buckets have cake icing in them and are usually thrown away when emptied. Not only could you use them for grain storage, but if you have a few grommets and air locks around, they make great fermenters too. I got a bunch of 2 gallon buckets from my local Publix a few years ago. The ladies running the bakery dept there even rinsed the buckets out for me while I was finishing up my grocery shopping.

I'm In Northern Virginia. Near Leesburg.

There's a shop on the east side of Leesburg called Kettles and Grains. It's just off U.S. 15 between Edwards Ferry Road and Route 7. I've never shopped there but have heard good reviews. I'm not sure if they do bulk orders if you're looking for 55# bags, but supposedly they're a pretty good LHBS. As for mail order, I've had good luck ordering from Atlantic Brew in Raleigh though they're not my first go-to. They usually get things delivered to me (Central MD) within a few days.

There's a shop on the east side of Leesburg called Kettles and Grains. It's just off U.S. 15 between Edwards Ferry Road and Route 7. I've never shopped there but have heard good reviews. I'm not sure if they do bulk orders if you're looking for 55# bags, but supposedly they're a pretty good LHBS. As for mail order, I've had good luck ordering from Atlantic Brew in Raleigh though they're not my first go-to. They usually get things delivered to me (Central MD) within a few days.
Thanks for the info. I'll check out Kettles and Grains this weekend.

Hit your local grocer or bakeries for the 5 gallon, and other sized, buckets. Most of those buckets have cake icing in them and are usually thrown away when emptied. Not only could you use them for grain storage, but if you have a few grommets and air locks around, they make great fermenters too. I got a bunch of 2 gallon buckets from my local Publix a few years ago. The ladies running the bakery dept there even rinsed the buckets out for me while I was finishing up my grocery shopping.
[/QUOTE]
I have a local ice cream factory near me , they have all sorts of ingredients that they use in 5 gallon buckets with the lids . They usually just recycle them , one day I called and talked to the production manager and asked if I could have some. Told him what they were for, they left 50 buckets and lids out back by the loading dock, picked them up that evening. Called the next day to thank them, they said anytime just give a call.

I have a local ice cream factory near me , they have all sorts of ingredients that they use in 5 gallon buckets with the lids . They usually just recycle them , one day I called and talked to the production manager and asked if I could have some. Told him what they were for, they left 50 buckets and lids out back by the loading dock, picked them up that evening. Called the next day to thank them, they said anytime just give a call.

LMAO! Score!!

I am good on the buckets, I don't mind spending $8 each at Home Depot.. I only need 2.

Trying to figure out some good all around adjuncts to pick up while I'm at the LHBS this Saturday. I primarily drink IPA's, stouts, and porters but may want to try out a Belgian tripel soon. I need to find a good resource that explains malt attributes that work with these styles.

I need to find a good resource that explains malt attributes that work with these styles.

I've found Josh Weikert of Craft Beer & Brewing an excellent resource.

Google 'Make your best triple' (or make your best _____) and you'll get a couple of recipes by Josh explaining why he uses the ingredients he chooses for each style.

Ended up getting a 50 lb sack of 2-row, 15 lbs golden promise, 10 lb white wheat, 2 lb honey, and 5 lbs of rice hulls.

The 2-row hardly fit into the 2 buckets, I need a 3rd for the other grains.
PXL_20220212_175358857.jpg

PXL_20220212_174158215.jpg

Back