BarleyCrusher Quality Control and a LifeTime Warranty ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
I purchased a used barleycrusher figuring i could always send it in to get re-knulled or whatever needs to be done due to the quality control and lifetime warranty on them.

The mill has been used heavly and wont pull grain through anymore. I emailed barleycrusher and asked whats the procedure for taking advantage of the lifetime warranty. Over the course of 2 weeks i sent 2 more emails (due to no response yet from any) explaining the same thing but mentioned in one of them that it was used in a homebrew store so the rollers have been used a lot.

after 2 weeks i finally get the reply,
Thank you for your email, Unfortunately the Barley crushers warranty does not apply to mills used in a commercial capacity. The Lifetime warranty applies to all mills that are used in a home brewing setting.
We can sell you a new set of rollers for your mill for $50.00 including shipping.

if there is anything else I can do for you please email me.
Thank you
Randy
B C Products Enterprises Inc.

does anyone else think this is BS?

does anyone else think this is BS?

If their warranty only covers non-commerical use, it makes perfect sense to me. I mean, you say you purchased a mill that was used in a commercial setting and heavily worn, right?

I don't think it's BS. I think he's being very generous offering you new rollers for only $50. Furthermore, I think that the lifetime warranty should only apply to the original owner. Keep in mind that he's running a business, not a charity.

So, you are telling us that you bought a used mill fully aware that it would need some work without first checking to see what that might cost and if it might be covered under the original warranty and you want the manufacturer to take up the slack for your due diligence failure. I really think you have only yourself to blame.

I agree with Catt. Most warranties only apply to the original owner. This is one of the reasons why you get those registry cards with everything you buy anymore. Take the new rollers for $50 and be happy.

Most definitely NOT BS.

The person who responded to your email should have called BS, IMO. How do you think a lifetime warranty works?

Since when does a lifetime warranty cover normal wear? Not to mention the other items noted previously. Sears stopped offering free replacement of a lot of tools for this very reason.

Definately not BS!

From their site..."Precision machining with Quality Control and a LifeTime Warranty assures the homebrewer that this will be the only grain mill they will ever purchase!"

I think you tipped your cards when you mentioned it was purchased from a HBS...the jury is out on this one??

Well, the fact that he offers a transferrable lifetime warranty to a purchaser of used mills is great, I think.

Just try asking Schmidling the same question like I did. He might call you "Shirley".... as in "Shirley you don't expect the warranty to transfer". Well, your biggest competitor does.

Cheers to BC for really standing behind his product.

Back