Bar MA Large Beer Selection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaw237

Reaction score
I going to visit a friend that lives in the suburbs west of boston in a few days. I am looking for a bar to go to that has a large variety of beer. Does anyone from the area know of a bar in eastern or central Mass that has a wide beer selection? The more options the merrier? Thanks.

Do you want to go into Boston itself? If so there's a lot of options.

Sunset in Allston probably has the largest selection with 100+ taps. Lord Hobo in Cambridge has about 35, Bukowski's has about 20, Cambridge Brewing Co. is one of the oldest brewpubs in the country and has a good selection at all times (very close to Hobo), Meadhall is near Cambridge Brewing and has a very large tap list (50ish I think), Deep Ellum is near Sunset and has a good selection, and Publick House in Brighton/Brookline has a really great belgian selection.

As far as outside of Boston, I used to live in Framingham and never found anything to be very good. BBC is okay and John Harvard's is okay too. I'm not super familiar with the northern part of the state.

How far west of Boston? Yard house is great and I love it, but it's a national chain. There are other places around that would be more local that you wouldst find elsewhere.

Do you want to go into Boston itself? If so there's a lot of options.

Sunset in Allston probably has the largest selection with 100+ taps. Lord Hobo in Cambridge has about 35, Bukowski's has about 20, Cambridge Brewing Co. is one of the oldest brewpubs in the country and has a good selection at all times (very close to Hobo), Meadhall is near Cambridge Brewing and has a very large tap list (50ish I think), Deep Ellum is near Sunset and has a good selection, and Publick House in Brighton/Brookline has a really great belgian selection.

As far as outside of Boston, I used to live in Framingham and never found anything to be very good. BBC is okay and John Harvard's is okay too. I'm not super familiar with the northern part of the state.

+1

deep ellum is a must and they did have heady topper on tap. dont know if they still do or not. Sunset also has about 1000 beers total with 100+ on tap but for food/beer its def deep ellum for me.

+1

deep ellum is a must and they did have heady topper on tap. dont know if they still do or not. Sunset also has about 1000 beers total with 100+ on tap but for food/beer its def deep ellum for me.

Deep Ellum rocks. Sunset had Heady on tap for a bit too.

Also if you see the Slumbrew IPA on tap, it's a must have. Very tasty and from Somerville!

I was at Lord Hobo a few weeks ago for the first time...impressed. They even had a bottle of Pangea on hand as well as serving Firestone's Double Jack which is my favorite. Food was okay and thats being generous.

As for something that is in Central Mass, Armsby Abbey in Worchester is easily the greatest bar I have ever been too. INSANE beer list as well as a chalkboard for specialty and limited brews that can go out in as little as a day or two (hence the chalkboard). Its also the best food in Mass, seriously. All farm-fresh from within 100 miles of the bar, and a chef that clearly knows that he is doing. Kind of a hipster place but I recommend it to anyone and everyone who heads west of Boston.

I was at Lord Hobo a few weeks ago for the first time...impressed. They even had a bottle of Pangea on hand as well as serving Firestone's Double Jack which is my favorite. Food was okay and thats being generous.

As for something that is in Central Mass, Armby Abbey in Worcester is easily the greatest bar I have ever been too. INSANE beer list as well as a chalkboard for specialty and limited brews that can go out in as little as a day or two (hence the chalkboard). Its also the best food in Mass, seriously. All farm-fresh from within 100 miles of the bar, and a chef that clearly knows that he is doing. Kind of a hipster place but I recommend it to anyone and everyone who heads west of Boston.

There, I fixed it for you. :mug:

I going to visit a friend that lives in the suburbs west of boston in a few days. I am looking for a bar to go to that has a large variety of beer. Does anyone from the area know of a bar in eastern or central Mass that has a wide beer selection? The more options the merrier? Thanks.

Where does the friend live? And how far do you want to be driving? (especially on the return from the bar). Specifics would help. The Horseshoe Pub in Hudson has a decent beer list...

Cheers!

If you want to go to a fantastic Irish pub and your near the Plainville area, the Chieftain has some of the best Irish pub fair I've had in a long time. My brother just moved to the area and we ate there the other night after unloading the moving truck. Beer selection is alright but it's the kind of place where a Guinness is perfect with the food. If you go make sure to get the onion rings and steamers as an app. The shepherds pie was also fantastic.

Calichusetts said:

As for something that is in Central Mass, Armby Abbey in Worchester is easily the greatest bar I have ever been too. INSANE beer list as well as a chalkboard for specialty and limited brews that can go out in as little as a day or two (hence the chalkboard). Its also the best food in Mass, seriously. All farm-fresh from within 100 miles of the bar, and a chef that clearly knows that he is doing. Kind of a hipster place but I recommend it to anyone and everyone who heads west of Boston.

When I moved to the suburbs of Worcester two years ago I stayed at the hotel across the street (Crown Plaza at the time) from the Abbey and ate there pretty much every night the place is so good.

Hipster yes, good food absolutely, beer selection phenomenal. They had this guy who played live jazz and it was really good.

Back