Bar Harbour, Maine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagstout

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here could recommend some brewerys and/or brew around Bar Harbour, Maine.

The wife and I will be going the first week in Sept. for vacation....looking forward to it.

Thanks

Bar Harbor Brewing Company.

Go there first and find out when a tour and tasting will be held, you'll need to register in advance, they fill up quick.
The Cadillac Mountain stout is one of the best American style stouts you can find, IMO. All of their beers are high quality.

Last time I was in Acadia was about 4 years ago. And I gotta say.... I hated everything from Bar Harbor Brewing. Must be something in the water,....cause everything had the same nasty aftertaste. The blue berry stuff....Ow...my Gawd..... Maybe they've changed since then..... I hope....

Just got back from Maine. Thanks guys on the input. I went to Alantic Brewing Co. and was able to get the short tour and try some of the beers. I have to say that I was not to impressed. It seemed to be that all their beers floated just above the style guidelines, none were impressive. The tour guide gave a generic overall of the brewery and was unable to answere some of my questions....they have a blueberry ale and I had asked when they added the blueberries. Also I was told that they do not dry hop their IPA which I was surprised, but then the taste reflected it. I was also told that they only use Notty for their yeast, but when you have ten different styles of beer....seems to me that you would use a few different stains of yeast. Could be that they didn't want to tell me and gave me Notty to shut me up. Seemed to be the type of brewery that is geared to please the mass tourist that flock to Arcadia every summer; which makes total sense business wise. I give them credit where its deserved and am I in no way trying to bash them, just saying they were not for me. I'd put some pics on here, but all were were able to see was the fermentation vessels and there little bottling station, I didn't move more then ten feet.

P.S.

Alantic Brewing Co. brought Bar Harbor Brewery just a few years ago. A.B. still brews Bar Harbor Beer so I was able to try their Cadillac Stout. IMO it was pretty good.

Back