Baltimore MD????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maida7

Reaction score
Hey, I'm visiting Baltimore. I'm looking to visit a brewery or 2. Are any breweries kid friendly? In my town (Asheville, NC) most all the breweries are cool for little kids. Wondering if Baltimore has a similar child in the brewery acceptance policy.

Specifically looking at Union and The Wharf Rat. But open to any and all suggestions.

TIA :mug:

Got the opportunity to work at Union Craft, as a plumber not a brewer lol but Adam and the crew were really nice guys, another brewery to check out would be Heavy Seas, also look up DuClaw's not sure if they do tours though

Got the opportunity to work at Union Craft, as a plumber not a brewer lol but Adam and the crew were really nice guys, another brewery to check out would be Heavy Seas, also look up DuClaw's not sure if they do tours though

Don't really need a tour. Just want to grab a pint or two with my kid in tow. In Asheville it's no big deal to bring a kid (or a dog) to a bar. Wondering if it's similar in Baltimore or am I going to breaking the moral code.

Without the "kid," if you're after a real taphouse experience, and you're staying downtown, go to Max's (Fells Point).

For tours, see ^
Heavy Seas is great, but it's not downtown. It's in Halethorpe, on the West side, off the Beltway. And AFAIK you've got to register in advance for a tour, unless you know somebody there.

Union sounds great, but I'm not familiar with the brewery, only their beer ;).
There are other breweries within driving distance. Jailbreak in Laurel is a fairly new one and their approach is a bit novel. Flying Dog in Frederick is the a one, and there are 1 or 2 others in that town, Monocacy being another. Hard to keep track.

You need to check ahead for kid friendliness for visiting the breweries and those tours. For example, the breweries' taprooms don't even have soda... Maryland is also pretty darn strict with crazy laws, we're drowning in them. Check their websites and call before you even leave home.

Hope you find something that's amicable. Enjoy your stay, I mean it, there's a lot to do here.

Kids in bars is not a problem. I live in the city, on the east side, I've seen kids in the bars before. Def. check out Max's. Heavy Seas brew pub has great food as well as their great beer! Union Craft brewery is right around the corner from Nepenthe Homebrew, my LHBS. Check out Brewer's Art brew pub in Mt. Vernon too, another great spot!

I live 5 minutes from Union. They are great! No problem with kids but I would go on a night where it is nice outside, as they have space outside where it might be a little easier to manage kids (well, a parking lot, but you know ...) inside can get a bit cramped. Wharf rat is a bar, wouldn't take kids there after dinner time.

+1 on Brewer's Art. I like their Belgian-y take on beer a lot and rarely miss an opportunity to get a pint or a flight of 6 there. Great food too, their rosemary garlic fries are out of this world. Not a place for kids though, very boring for them.

Elliott Mills Brewing Company in Elliott City,MD is a nice family friendly brewpub with German style beers and food. Highly recommend the smoked porchops with fries and extra gravy, probably the best thing on the menu. Elliott City is a nice historic downtown with many restaurants and shops. Kinda touristy but nowhere near as bad as the Inner Harbor. Judges Bench across the street from EMBC has a nice rotation of local/regional beers on tap. Second Pratt Street Ale House, they often have outstanding English style draught ales. Hudson Street Stack House in Canton has a nice 30ish draft rotation and decent food. Either Pratt Street or Hudson are the obvious choices if you're doing the Inner Harbor.

Flying dog is pretty cool I think the kids can go with. If you do go pick up some of there summer ale it's made with old bay seasoning goes really good with crab.

If you're going to be downtown, check out Pratt St. Alehouse. Walking distance from the aquarium and children's museum, and a solid menu for kids.

+1 on all the rest. Flying Dog is a bit of a hike, and not the most kid friendly. Jailbreak has some games and stuff that they might like (cornhole, shuffleboard...)

There is a lot of stuff to do in Baltimore, 1st there is the Union Craft Brewing, there is a lot of fun for kids too I just recommend take care of them because there is some stuff that can be risky. There is also a place know as The Old Vine, oh my God, they have an excellent range of reds and whites for casual drinking; can't go wrong with those. They also have a great selection of beer and liquor.
Price are a bit higher than some other stores but it´s convenient to where I live and has easy parking, if you are not going on car, you can call a shuttle to lax to take you, I haven't take the public transportation in Baltimore, but maybe is another option.

There is another place that I love named The Brewer’s Art, not sure if is a good place for kids. The beer list that ranges from $2-10+ which is really good. Let me remember if I can find other places to visit, hope this work a little bit. Enjoy Balt!!

The Heavy Seas Ale House is co- located with a bowling alley and another brew pub. It's just outside of inner harbor on the east side near little Italy.

Latest posts

Back