Bag hoist/hanging...any pics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I just prefer a full volume mash with a bag that lines the entire kettle.

This.

I used to be a BIABB fan, but with a 10 gallon BK, I needed every bit of volume and space was tight. Now with a keggle and a bag that fits perfectly, I don't need to worry about having enough room for high-gravity brews.

I like my basket (see my previous pics) for ease of lifting and for sparging. For one thing, the basket contains the grain bag so it doesn't sag over the edge of the BK when it is lifted up. My BK is 9 gallons, 13.5 inch diameter with a 12 inch basket so it's not too big to brew on my stove. The nice thing about doing a standard water/grain mash ratio followed by a sparge instead of doing a full volume mash is that I can mash more grain. With full volume, my BK maxes out around 13.5 lbs of grain. But if I mash with 1.25 qts/lb, I can mash up close to 20 lbs. Lifting the basket/grain bag out of the BK then gives me room for sparge water to get up to my boil volume. So far I've only pushed it to 16 lbs but it works great.

While designing my strut-based brew stand I figured I should make a moveable hoist too. For a 5G batch I just pull the bag up and let it drain into the keg. For a 10G batch (where the water+grain exceeds the keg capacity) I mash in 11G, pull the bag, roll the hoist over the center keg, and dunk spage in another 4G. If I stagger the start times I can now brew 2 x 10G at once.

10177496_1443962139179387_3070898287751045319_n.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398973449.268688.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1398973456.309722.jpg

I used a pulley for the first time this week.. Wow what a difference. So much easier to lift and let it drain until boil. Mine is simply attached to an eye hook in the ceiling beam.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Man that home Depot bucket solution is pure genius for those of us to last to try another method.

I didn't like the idea of hoisting, so heres what I did.

5 gallon home depot bucket, drill a bunch of holes in the bottom

old homebrew bucket.

place home depot bucket in homebrew bucket, should be about 2 gallons worth of space in between the hole-drilled bottom of the HD bucket and the bottom of the homebrew bucket. Put grain bag in the HD bucket when you're done mashing, put pressure on it with the lid of a saucepan or something, I get about 1.25 gallons of water from the bag this way (10 gallon batches).

I am wondering if anyone who BIAB has build their own system for hoisting a bag and hanging it? I have seen some ladders and some winches from rafters, but I am hoping for smaller systems.

Say you needed to hang a bag over pot in the kitchen. :D

Any and all pics and other solutions welcome, but I am hoping to adapt something to part of my mobile 9gal electric brew BIAB system.

I swing the cabinet door open over the stove, and wrap the cord at the top of the bag around the handle -- after I've squeezed it a little to reduce the weight (probably not necessary.) I was trying to figure out how to put a hook in the ceiling without pissing-off my wife, and realized I already had a perfectly good hanger.

I am wondering if anyone who BIAB has build their own system for hoisting a bag and hanging it? I have seen some ladders and some winches from rafters, but I am hoping for smaller systems.

Say you needed to hang a bag over pot in the kitchen. :D

Any and all pics and other solutions welcome, but I am hoping to adapt something to part of my mobile 9gal electric brew BIAB system.

I use an engine hoist from Harbor Freight. It has wheels so lift bag and roll it out of the way. It also folds up so takes up a small space when not using.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the organized work space, the mash has no chance, b/w the paddle, whisk and large spoon.

Interesting w/ the mash paddle partial finish....

Looks like woodworker meets brewer...well done!

...Interesting w/ the mash paddle partial finish....

I couldn't think of any finish I would be comfortable immersing into hot wort. Oils would go into solution, urethanes or epoxies could release chemicals I don't want in my beer, so I just decided to leave the business end of the paddle unfinished.

Looks like woodworker meets brewer...

Pretty much.

IMG_5025.JPG

I bought a trailer hitch mounted game dressing hoist on Amazon for $90. It's got a swivel bearing built into it and it works great.

I ended up chopping the trailer hitch part off, and you can adjust the height on it. If you have a way to mount it to something mobile, it could work in a kitchen, but it's probably a little bigger than what you're after.

View attachment 597330

I bought a trailer hitch mounted game dressing hoist on Amazon for $90. It's got a swivel bearing built into it and it works great.

I ended up chopping the trailer hitch part off, and you can adjust the height on it. If you have a way to mount it to something mobile, it could work in a kitchen, but it's probably a little bigger than what you're after.

Or leave the trailer hitch part on and back your truck into the kitchen!

I built a hoist into my mobile brew cart, my objective was to build the cheapest cart possible because I am saving up for an indoor EBIAB setup.
DHrIQMf.jpg

I built a rolling BIAB cart, the design for which I ripped off from greybush's cart. :) It works great, and I can now brew anywhere in the garage or outside. The Durock surrounding the burner insulates well, the outside of it doesn't get more than warm to the touch.

RollingBIAB1a.jpg

RollingBIAB2a.jpg

Back