Anyone have some pics demonstrating how to fasten to a Wilser Mesh BIAB bag for hoisting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscroggi

Reaction score
Hey Everyone. I recently ordered a 20G BIAB system and I am eager to get it in and going. I was reading about the equipment etc to gain some knowledge before it arrives.

The system I ordered comes with a Wilser Mesh BIAB Bag. I saw some instructions on how to attach to the bag so it can be hoisted. They indicated making a "choker" around the top 2 inches of the bag, and hook to the hoist. That all makes sense to me. BUT.. Looking at the picture of the bag, there doesn't seem to be enough material at the top of the bag that when cinched, would create enough of a knot, that the rope choker would have enough to grab. Is this incorrect?

All the pictures I have found look like there is just a small string running through the top of the bag for cinching. I saw videos of other bags being hoisted, but they all had loops built into straps that ran vertically down the side of the bag.

Does anyone have any info or pics?

20200811_220721.jpg
20201001_220011.jpg

When you pull all the slack out of the draw string, just grab the bag somewhere between the ball of grain and the top of the bag in your fist like you're santa clause. Wrap the choker loop around it just above your fist, loop it through and attach that long loop to the hook.

Does anyone have any info or pics?

There was a cord that came with my pully that was attached to the release. Since I am close enough to the body of my pully, I didn't need. I used this cord to make my hoop.

Take about 18" of the cord, fold it in half and make a regular (called an overhand) knot at the open end.
20220917_072341.jpg

Pull it as tight as you can. It should look like this. Should be about 6" long.

20220917_072441.jpg

When it's time to pull the bag, cinch the bag closed and wrap your hoop around the neck under the seam. Create a girth hitch (some people call it a slipknot - great band, but wrong name for this) by pulling one end of the hoop through the other. Then take the open end of your hoop and hang it on the pully.
20220917_082048.jpg

This should hold all the weight you can throw at it.
20220917_082027.jpg

Hope this helps.

I did a post here a while back, rather than link it, please just Google search “BIAB hoisting w/ ratchet pulley, rev 1” , all the information you need and more ….thanks

I did a post here a while back, rather than link it, please just Google search “BIAB hoisting w/ ratchet pulley, rev 1” , all the information you need and more ….thanks

I do like the second pic in that thread ("Slightly better is to form a simple loop knot in the excess closed drawstring, and then attach the pulley through the double loop..."). It is very easy and very effective and does not require a second piece of string.

I do like the second pic in that thread ("Slightly better is to form a simple loop knot in the excess closed drawstring, and then attach the pulley through the double loop..."). It is very easy and very effective and does not require a second piece of string.

Agreed, however sometimes headroom is an important factor besides when referring to volume in the kettle. See post #2 in this thread.

There's an eye bolt set into a stud at the back of the cabinet. This does put load and wear on the hood where the rope bends over the edge. Before my next batch, I'm going to add a removable arm to take the load off the hood completely. I'll post an update when I do.

That little loop of skinny nylon rope is amazing. I use it not only to heft my grain bag, but also to suspend hops (if I don't want to use my hop spider), and also my hose for recirculating. I couldn't find it once, and was devastated. Until I went to dump spent grain, and found it in my yard waste bin from the previous day's (slightly druk) brewday. I'm much more careful with it now, it lives looped around the handle of my brewstand.

*edit And since Wilser is on this thread, may I say that almost two years in my bag is still going strong. No snags, no issues, and it's done me well for many many brews. OP will not regret this purchase!

There's an eye bolt set into a stud at the back of the cabinet. This does put load and wear on the hood where the rope bends over the edge. Before my next batch, I'm going to add a removable arm to take the load off the hood completely. I'll post an update when I do.

That took longer than I hoped. Works like a charm.

20231225_095130.jpg

Latest posts

Back