Bad Brew day, if you want to call it that....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
I do BIAB, and i brew out on my back deck with gas....

I planned to do a brew starting around 8 am. got up, up this morning, and started getting my water together. I do 50/50 with my filtered water and distilled water. Measured out my salts. got my grains together Milled them. Everything going as plan. I pull out my Brew stand, hook up my gas. Fill my kettle, add my salts and acid. Turn my gas on, start warming my water. While its warming i finish setting up my waste can(bucket and a bag for spent hops) water waste bucket, and the rest of my accessories that I need. Thats when it happens. I notice my flame is acting really really weird. Looked at my regulator, and ugg....its frozen. I'm thinking with the rain storm we had last night, it just had to much humidity in the air and caused the regulator to freeze up....sigh.... pushed stand back into my covered porch. and hopefully it will be better tomorrow.

For all that reads...thought about keeping or dumping water??? I have the water sitting in my kettle right now in hopes that I can brew tomorrow morning.

Grains I put back in my closed bucket, so they will be fine for a few days.

Keeping the water should be fine, especially only one day. Obviously you want to cover it and make sure it's protected from the elements, but otherwise it's no problem.

I've had instances where I've made RO water and then realized I couldn't brew, and let it sit in the garage for a week. No issues.

I'm still stuck at frozen regulator... in August!

You must be on the under side of the equator?

I probaly would have tried to salkvage the brew day by pulling the regulator and bringing it indoors for a few minutes to thaw?

Don’t think he or she literally means frozen, given the rain/humidity comment. More that it jammed up.

Look into the propane regulator reset procedure. I forget exactly, but if you disconnect it from the tank, open the regulator valve fully for a couple minutes, close it, reconnect it to the tank with the tank valve off and regulator valve still off, slooooowly turn the tank valve so gas barely trickles through and increase opening slowly until all the way open. Then slowly open your regulator valve and attempt to light.

If that fails - are you sure the propane tank is full? I’ve had a “strange flame” when my tank was close to empty.

I do BIAB, and i brew out on my back deck with gas....

I planned to do a brew starting around 8 am. got up, up this morning, and started getting my water together. I do 50/50 with my filtered water and distilled water. Measured out my salts. got my grains together Milled them. Everything going as plan. I pull out my Brew stand, hook up my gas. Fill my kettle, add my salts and acid. Turn my gas on, start warming my water. While its warming i finish setting up my waste can(bucket and a bag for spent hops) water waste bucket, and the rest of my accessories that I need. Thats when it happens. I notice my flame is acting really really weird. Looked at my regulator, and ugg....its frozen. I'm thinking with the rain storm we had last night, it just had to much humidity in the air and caused the regulator to freeze up....sigh.... pushed stand back into my covered porch. and hopefully it will be better tomorrow.

For all that reads...thought about keeping or dumping water??? I have the water sitting in my kettle right now in hopes that I can brew tomorrow morning.

Grains I put back in my closed bucket, so they will be fine for a few days.

When you say froze up, did you see frost on the regulator? Seems odd. As someone else mentioned it sounds like the regulator needs resetting. The newer style of tank valves and regulators have a built in leak detector. If you open the valve on the tank to fast the regulator decreases the flow to the burner and the flame looks funny. From my experience, as a regulator ages it’s more likely to do this.

When you say froze up, did you see frost on the regulator? Seems odd. As someone else mentioned it sounds like the regulator needs resetting. The newer style of tank valves and regulators have a built in leak detector. If you open the valve on the tank to fast the regulator decreases the flow to the burner and the flame looks funny. From my experience, as a regulator ages it’s more likely to do this.

The regulator and about 1/2 inch up the hose had frost on it. Regulator is about a year old.

The regulator and about 1/2 inch up the hose had frost on it. Regulator is about a year old.

Oh wow - so opposite hemisphere situation and you literally meant frozen. Inside the house thaw should do it? Have fun brewing tonight!

I prepare my water, fill the HLT and grind my grains the day before my brew day all the time. That way all I have to do first thing in the morning is turn the heat on. So yes, it will be fine to leave your water sitting overnight.

Back