Backsweetening and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludesbrews

Reaction score
Hey all,

After nearly 3 weeks the primary fermentation for my first batch (one gallon) of cider I complete. Please review my planned method for proceeding, and please advise.

1) Determine my desired level of sweetness. I plan on using xylitol dissolved in water as my sweetener in order to prevent bottle bombs.

2) Mix the whole gallon with the determined amount of sweetener solution.

3) Bottle using pre determined amount of corn syrup solution per bottle.

Anything I am over looking?

Thanks!

Yup. The yeast has no contract with you to treat sugar you want to use for backsweetening differently from sugar you want to prime the cider. If you stabilize the cider to prevent further fermentation (and so preserve the added sugar for sweetening) you cannot then prime your cider. And if you don't stabilize with the goal of priming then any additional sugar will also be treated as priming and so you will end up with bottle bombs.

Yup. The yeast has no contract with you to treat sugar you want to use for backsweetening differently from sugar you want to prime the cider. If you stabilize the cider to prevent further fermentation (and so preserve the added sugar for sweetening) you cannot then prime your cider. And if you don't stabilize with the goal of priming then any additional sugar will also be treated as priming and so you will end up with bottle bombs.

That I understand- but xylitol (from what I understand) is a non-fermentable sugar.

Is this the case if the sweetener I use to backsweeten is artificial and non-fermentable?

Bernard,

Is this the case even if the sweetener I am using to backsweeten is nonfermentable such as xylitol?

Sorry for all of the replies- phone was acting up. Corn sugar for sole purpose of carbonation.

[emoji1303][emoji1303]really appreciate it. Do you always carbonate, or do you sometimes bottle without priming

Hi fellas,,
i have a few quests for you

1. After racking can i add a little bit of sulphur metabisulfit,thats what i use for wine makin
2.WHEN MY SECOND FErment is done(measured three times the same GRAVITY) . if i add 3 grams of fermentable sugar into the bottles i will get fizzy cider right?? fermentation did finish but because yeast ate all the sugar so if i add al ittle more they will produce CO2 and a little more alchocol??

HELLPPP

Hi fellas,,
i have a few quests for you

1. After racking can i add a little bit of sulphur metabisulfit,thats what i use for wine makin
2.WHEN MY SECOND FErment is done(measured three times the same GRAVITY) . if i add 3 grams of fermentable sugar into the bottles i will get fizzy cider right?? fermentation did finish but because yeast ate all the sugar so if i add al ittle more they will produce CO2 and a little more alchocol??

HELLPPP

1. That'd be potassium metabisulfite, for an anti-oxidant like wine, yes.
2. If the gravity is stable and you've racked off the yeast, then priming with 3-4 grams per bottle will work.

COOL, im from Croatia, Cidermaking is not very popular as wine and schnaps

p.s. you mean 3-4- grams to half liter bottle??

Should be fine. BTW when I use Xylitol, about 3 TBSP per gallon is semi-sweet.

Just remember that xylitol is deadly to cats and dogs. I tend to spill things in my brewery, so I have gone to sorbitol which is not toxic to animals and is naturally-occurring in pears. Both are non-fermentable, natural sugars.

My experience with Xylitol was a bit disappointing.
1) It is a bit of a diuretic. So careful when sharing...
2) I didn't find that it was a good match for my cider. The flavor was not what I wanted.
3) I would strongly suggest back sweetening with Juice and then pasteurizing your bottles once the CO2 is where you want. (1-2 weeks)
It is a really simple process to pasteurize your cider and you have no limitations on flavoring your cider perfectly. Want hints of honey? no problem, Want super apple flavor, no problem. Cherry? etc. I have found limiting myself to sweeteners that are not fermentable is really limiting your cider flavor.

Hi ,, i put 3 grams per half liter of white sugar for carbonation. If i wanna backsweet cider, can i put stevia in the same time as white sugar and what are normal values in grams

You are asking us how you want your cider to taste? Yes you can add stevia along with the sugar. I suggest you separate out one measurable unit of cider. Eg: 1 cup or 100 ml. Add stevia until it tastes as you like. Then multiply that volume to all your cider and blend well.

My experience with Xylitol was a bit disappointing.
1) It is a bit of a diuretic. So careful when sharing...
2) I didn't find that it was a good match for my cider. The flavor was not what I wanted.
3) I would strongly suggest back sweetening with Juice and then pasteurizing your bottles once the CO2 is where you want. (1-2 weeks)

I entirely agree. I don’t use just juice. I freeze concentrate the juice. Less volume more flavor.

Ok my batch is doing preety fine, i was wondering...
how long can cider stay in the same carboy and not tsake over some bad stuff from bottom yeasts.

My fermentation is on about 2 weeks and still fermenting but the re is a two inch layer of dead yeast on the bottom.

Cider wont take over some bad smell or taste ??

THX

My cider is done fermenting, and I stabilized so to kill of the yeast. I'd like to try a few methods of back sweetening, as it needs it. Could I put pretty much any sweetener in it, bottle it, and not have to worry about bottle bombs?

How did you stabilize? You need to remove as much yeast as possible and use BOTH k-Meta & Sorbate.

I've racked it a couple times, and had put in campden & potassium sorbate. (This is how you stabilize it right?)

Back