Backsweetener fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bama-bear

Reaction score
So I thought I used some of my must to back sweeten my mead. I added apples to it. And saved some must to back sweeten when it’s done fermenting. Is this not how you should do? Because the must I saved to back sweeten started fermenting. And I set it apart before adding my yeast. But yet it grew mold on it. Has anyone ever had this done to them?

If you're going to back-sweeten with anything fermentable, like more must, you need to stabilize the fermented stuff with potassium metabisulfite and potassium sulfate before adding it. Otherwise, it will just ferment that too. As far as setting aside some of it to backsweeten with later, it's best to freeze that, then when when you're ready to use it later, warm it up to 170 or so for 15 minutes before using it. Don't boil it.

Last edited:
If you're going to back-sweeten with anything fermentable, like more must, you need to stabilize the fermented stuff with potassium metabisulfite and potassium sulfate before adding it. Otherwise, it will just ferment that too. As far as setting aside some of it to backsweeten with later, it's best to freeze that, then when when you're ready to use it later, warm it up to 170 or so for 15 minutes before using it. Don't boil it.
May I ask why freeze it? I never added it to my mead. My mead was only about a week and half into fermenting when I noticed the jar that put some
Extra must in had mold on top. I never put any yeast or nutrient in that jar. It actually seemed to be fermenting pretty well except it did not have a good smell.

Freeze it to keep it from rotting, molding, wild-fermenting, etc, just like you do with any food you want to store for a.while.

Back