backsweeten question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landmo

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon cider batch that I handpicked and pressed myself and it has been sitting in the secondary for about 6 months. It is about 9% abv. I put a cup of sugar in it last week, and it isn't doing anything so I'm confident the yeast is dead. I love the color and aroma but I want to sweeten it up some because its a little bitter for my taste. What is most recommended; sugar, apple juice concentrate, or something artificial? Also for those that have aged cider, I plan to bottle this week, but how long can it last before it starts to go bad?

If the yeast are dead, you have lots of choices. Honey, cane sugar, fruit puree, or just more apple or fruit juice. Splenda or the like are best for cider with still active yeast, they add sweetness but not anything else. Stabilize it with sulfites and it will last for a long time.

Did you take a SG reading before/after adding that sugar? I would give it a good full 2 weeks to monitor, via hydrometer, for renewed fermentation.

Yes It was .990 before then I added a cup and a half of sugar and have veen monitoring it closely. I tried it again the other day and it was right around 1.02 and its been ten days since I put tree the small amount of sugar in. So I'm confident it's dead, now I need to sweeten for taste.

landmo said:
Yes It was .990 before then I added a cup and a half of sugar and have veen monitoring it closely. I tried it again the other day and it was right around 1.02 and its been ten days since I put tree the small amount of sugar in. So I'm confident it's dead, now I need to sweeten for taste.

Dead? Or dormant? Be careful, it may appear dead, but a little sugar could bring it back to life over time. Kegging or bottling? What did you use for sweetener?

Back