Back after a long break - multiple kegs on gas - playing the waiting game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinchef_fairfax

Reaction score
Howdy peeps.
I've been away for a few years. Miss me?
After a long drought where all of my brewing and kegging equipment collected dust and got crusty - I busted out the PBW and got to cleaning - which lead to sanitizing - which lead to me getting bit by the bug and going from no beer to 25 gallons in a matter of weeks.

Now I have a few wheats, an IPA and a strong dark brown ale sitting in kegs and another Bee Cave Robust Porter sitting in primary.

I'm afraid I was a little impatient this time around. Got a bit excited and spent no more than 10 days in primary for any of the brews I have kegged. I go out every couple of days and do some spot-check tastings. Of course they're green and not very balanced at this point. After one or two "test glasses" they become more welcoming to test glass #2,3 and maybe 4...

They've been sitting in an outdoor shed I purpose built for brewing while they gas up. Temps at night have been in the mid thirties and as of right now go into the mid 50's during the day. The temp in the shed seems pretty stable even in the sunlight - so I'm not overly concerned.

My question is - should temps start to bounce higher - would it be ok to take the carbed kegs and pull them back into a 65-68 degree controlled environment now that they've been chilled down? I'm afraid I might have bypassed some conditioning opportunities by rushing them out so fast.
As of now - the flavors are all over the place. Just looking for the best way forward. I think I've learned my lesson about impatience... Anyway - nice to be back...

Glad to hear your back at it! I don’t think it’s an issue at all to warm them up a bit, you could just let them ride or pull the lowest gravity one or the one you want to drink first.

The yeast does the conditioning. If they have gone dormant, and crashed out on the bottom, you may need to bring them back up by good swirling and /or inverting. Or add some fresh yeast (any will do) along with enough dissolved sugar so they can keg condition your batch. 64-70F would be fine. The good thing is they can recarbonate your batch at the same time. A spunding valve is easiest, low maintenance, but a well-educated pull on the PRV from time to time works fine too.

I admit - I went a little crazy wanting to drink them so soon. I'm probably not the only one to ever do that...
I was under the impression they'd refine while chilled - albeit more slowly. The really cool temps might hamper things a bit though... I figured a month or so sitting in the mid-40's to mid-50's range would do the trick - but thinking back - all of my other beers were much warmer than that while they conditioned and they sat for a lot longer. I didn't take into account that the yeast might go dormant and the beer would kinda "lock in place" as far as flavor was concerned...

Latest posts

Back