Long time brewer but new to kegs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMV

Reaction score
Hello, I have been brewing for 40+ years. Back when all the malt I could get was at the grocery store. Blue ribbon malt was what my poppa used and so did I. I just completed my keezer and have two corny kegs in it trying to force carbonate. I have a third batch in the primary fermenter. Every thing I have read says that it’s best to set the co2 pressure to 10 to 12 pounds and forget about it for 10 days to two weeks. I had to check after 4 days and I really don’t see much if any signs of carbonation. The keezer is at 37 degrees and the co2 is set to 11 pounds. I can tell that co2 is flowing due to the pressure dropping when I pull the release on the keg and the pressure reading returns to 11 pounds when I let it go. My question is when should I start to see carbonation? I filled the kegs to just below the gas tubes. One is a cream ale and the other is a Dortmunder. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

There's going to be a lot more scientific advice and charts heading your way from other members. I usually set mine between 10-12 psi as well. Usually after a full 7 days it's fully carbonated or pretty close.

Hang in there. Sounds like you've done everything correctly.

There's going to be a lot more scientific advice and charts heading your way from other members. I usually set mine between 10-12 psi as well. Usually after a full 7 days it's fully carbonated or pretty close.

Hang in there. Sounds like you've done everything correctly.
I pretty much do the same thing. Maybe 12 to 14 if I don't get the adjustment perfect. Either way, mine is usually good within a week or so.

Hello, I have been brewing for 40+ years. Back when all the malt I could get was at the grocery store. Blue ribbon malt was what my poppa used and so did I. I just completed my keezer and have two corny kegs in it trying to force carbonate. I have a third batch in the primary fermenter. Every thing I have read says that it’s best to set the co2 pressure to 10 to 12 pounds and forget about it for 10 days to two weeks. I had to check after 4 days and I really don’t see much if any signs of carbonation. The keezer is at 37 degrees and the co2 is set to 11 pounds. I can tell that co2 is flowing due to the pressure dropping when I pull the release on the keg and the pressure reading returns to 11 pounds when I let it go. My question is when should I start to see carbonation? I filled the kegs to just below the gas tubes. One is a cream ale and the other is a Dortmunder. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Since it's only been 4 days I'd wait another week or so before becoming concerned. But if you're too impatient you can always mix up some soapy water, or starsan/water, and check for leaks anywhere gas could escape. It might put your mind at ease if you don't find any.

You could always give it a shake if you’re feeling impatient.
Instead of Hulking the keg, I find rolling/rocking the keg back and forth on a towel on the floor relaxing while you hear the gas stream in at 20-25 psi and the (ice cold) beer sloshing around. 5-10 minutes later it's carbonated, ready to drink. Carbonation does get better over a few days, but it shaves a week off the process, easily.

I use the roll-carb method, too, like IslandLizard mentions. 5 minutes at around 20-25 psi chilled, then put in in the kegerator for 2-3 days at 12 to finish carbing properly and settle out, and it's ready to go.

Everyone will have a different answer, but I do 30psi for 24 hours, 24psi for 24 hours and then down to serving. Style and ABV makes a difference. I find higher wheated beers carb up quicker and high ABV beer carb slower.

You'll have passable carbonation in 3-4 days with the above method, and you'll be fully carbed after a week.

ive done wepeelers method and it works well but i sometimes have had issues overcarbing a little so i went back to the set it and forget it method and havent had a problem yet. i find undercarbing is easier to deal with then overcarbing

@JMV , how did you purge the air from the headspace? All of the carbonation charts and calculators assume that the headspace is 100% CO2. If you get rid of all the air, then at 11 psi, your CO2 partial pressure is 25.7 psi (absolute pressure is gauge pressure plus 14.7 psi.) If you didn't purge the air, then your CO2 partial pressure is only 11 psi, as you have 14.7 psi absolute of air in the headspace. The level of carbonation at equilibrium depends only on the CO2 partial pressure and the beer temperature. Thus to get 11 psi gauge worth carbonation, the CO2 partial pressure needs to be 25.7 psi.

You have to get the air out of the headspace in order to carb as expected. If you didn't purge the air, then your beer will end up undercarbed.

Brew on :mug:

Since it's only been 4 days I'd wait another week or so before becoming concerned. But if you're too impatient you can always mix up some soapy water, or starsan/water, and check for leaks anywhere gas could escape. It might put your mind at ease if you don't find any.
Thanks for your reply. I did a strong dish soap and water mix and sprayed every connection. I did find and retighten one minor leak when I first put the kegs under pressure. I have rechecked once again and found no leaks.

@JMV , how did you purge the air from the headspace? All of the carbonation charts and calculators assume that the headspace is 100% CO2. If you get rid of all the air, then at 11 psi, your CO2 partial pressure is 25.7 psi (absolute pressure is gauge pressure plus 14.7 psi.) If you didn't purge the air, then your CO2 partial pressure is only 11 psi, as you have 14.7 psi absolute of air in the headspace. The level of carbonation at equilibrium depends only on the CO2 partial pressure and the beer temperature. Thus to get 11 psi gauge worth carbonation, the CO2 partial pressure needs to be 25.7 psi.

You have to get the air out of the headspace in order to carb as expected. If you didn't purge the air, then your beer will end up undercarbed.

Thanks for your response. Before putting the beer into the keg I put a hose from my co2 tank into the keg. I allowed co2 to flow into the keg for 15 seconds to kinda push some air out of the keg leaving hopefully a higher concentration of co2 in the keg. After filling the keg to just below the gas dip tube I put on the lid and applied 20 pounds of co2 to the keg. I sprayed all the fittings on the keg with Star San and checked for leaks. No leaks so I pulled the manual relief valve and blew off the 20 pounds then reapplied. After doing this 4 timed I moved the keg into my keezer.
Once in the keezer I hooked up the gas line to the keg and applied 11 pounds of co2 then checked for leaks. No leaks found, I dumped and reapplied the 11 pounds 4 times. I tried to follow the instructions/directions I have read on multiple sites. If I have missed something please advise. Again thanks for any help or advice as I am a novice at kegs.

Thanks for your response. Before putting the beer into the keg I put a hose from my co2 tank into the keg. I allowed co2 to flow into the keg for 15 seconds to kinda push some air out of the keg leaving hopefully a higher concentration of co2 in the keg. After filling the keg to just below the gas dip tube I put on the lid and applied 20 pounds of co2 to the keg. I sprayed all the fittings on the keg with Star San and checked for leaks. No leaks so I pulled the manual relief valve and blew off the 20 pounds then reapplied. After doing this 4 timed I moved the keg into my keezer.
Once in the keezer I hooked up the gas line to the keg and applied 11 pounds of co2 then checked for leaks. No leaks found, I dumped and reapplied the 11 pounds 4 times. I tried to follow the instructions/directions I have read on multiple sites. If I have missed something please advise. Again thanks for any help or advice as I am a novice at kegs.
Your headspace purging process was adequate to get out enough of the air so that any remaining air in the headspace would not interfere with carbonation. 👍

Many people think leaks will adversely affect carbonation, but this is a misconception. If you can maintain the pressure in the system, you will carbonate as expected, even if there is a small leak. Carbonation level (at equilibrium) only depends on the CO2 pressure and beer temperature - so, if you have the correct pressure you will carbonate. There are more variables that affect carbonation rate, but a slow CO2 leak is not one of them.

Your headspace purging process was adequate to get out enough of the air so that any remaining air in the headspace would not interfere with carbonation. 👍

Many people think leaks will adversely affect carbonation, but this is a misconception. If you can maintain the pressure in the system, you will carbonate as expected, even if there is a small leak. Carbonation level (at equilibrium) only depends on the CO2 pressure and beer temperature - so, if you have the correct pressure you will carbonate. There are more variables that affect carbonation rate, but a slow CO2 leak is not one of them.

Thanks for easing my mind. Being my first time putting beer in a keg and after spending so much enjoyable time building this keezer I just want great beer.

for the most part when i keg the beer the temp is at the fermenting temp. to bring 5gal temp down in a keezer takes a while. I transfer to kegs purge the headspace, then seat the lids at 30-35psi. i will leave it at that pressure for 12 hours then degass and set to serving pressures of 12-13 like you said. once the beer is cold it will suck in the co2 faster than you would think.

usually 5-7 days has a drinkable carbed beer then hits its stride after

Back