Awesome Service from MoreBeer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianw58

Reaction score
The Homebrew community never ceases to amaze me. Brewers, professional as well as the hobby sort, are always ready to lend a hand or offer advice. Many of the vendors operate on the Golden Rule model. Bobby, at brewhardware.com; Wayne, at bargainfittings.com; williamsbrewing.com are a few that come to mind. (Apologies to those I've missed...):ban:

Yesterday, I had a heck of a time with my mash in until. I realized that my thermometer in my tun was not working properly. Once I pulled out my CDN Digital thermometer, I found out that I had hit all my numbers on the button.

Although I calibrated my dial thermometer before installation, my efficiencies went from around 80% to 70% after installation. As I had some other things going on I the Brewhouse, I did not look at the thermometer as one of the culprits or even as a factor in my brews. The thermometer was brand new. It was calibrated properly in a slush bath. No worries from that sector.

Wrong! After brewing yesterday, I pulled the thermometer. It checked at 0°F. It was 6°F low at 150°F (checked with the CDN) and nearly 10°F at boiling. The CDN READ 210.7°F on a roiling boil. I live a few hindered feet above sea level. The dial thermometer was reading on the high side of 200°F. Not good.:confused:

Soooo.... I emailed MoreBeer and told them of my situation. I did NOT expect anything until at least Monday. Following is the set of emails between Jared, of MoreBeer, and me.

MOREBEER ROCKS!:rockin:

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 21:47:35 -0500, [email protected] wrote:
I have an MT514 thermometer I purchased earlier this year.

I have been having no end if trouble hitting mash in target temps. Every time, I come in four to six degrees low.

Today, I checked the temps with a CDN electronic thermometer and got a shock. The Fermentap thermometer was way off.

I calibrated it using proper procedures with crushed ice and water before installing it in my cooler chest mash tun.

After my brew day toady, I checked it again. In the crushed ice/water slurry, the Fermentap thermometer read 2°F. I re-calibrated and checked in boiling water. The CDN read 210.7°F and the Frementap read 202°F.

I live in Lincoln, CA. Elevation 200'. I believe the 211°F reading. I do not accept the 202°F reading in moderately boiling water (not vigorous boil).

I am not happy with the Frementap thermometer. I need to get this replaced before my next brew day.

Thanks for any comments you might have.

Hello sir,

Thank you for your email and contacting us regarding this issue. We will be happy to replace the defective MT514 that you have. I show you had made your purchase in a showroom. Would you like to make an exchange in a showroom or would you like for us to mail you a replacement? If yes to mail, what is your shipping address?

Thank you,
Jared Lieban
Customer Service Representative
MoreFlavor! Inc
1-800-600-0033

For the latest deals, updates, and fun, follow us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/homebrewmorebeer

Hello Ian,

Thank you for your response. Please find attached a copy of the invoice on which we will be sending you a replacement MT514 - there is no need to return the defective one.

We are at work on Sundays now. We have opened our customer service department to 7 days a week in July when we opened our second distribution center. We are now open M-F 7a-6p and Sat-Sun 9a-6p so we can be more available for our customers.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know.

Thank you,
Jared Lieban

Back