Away from home during fermentation, what yeast to use in case of spike in temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
I will be away in May. I want to brew something before I leave and let it ferment at room temperature. My choices are to use one of the following yeasts:

1) Lambic blend - says it can go upto 75F, if it goes over it and primary fermentation is over - will there be any issues?

2) Witbier - says it can go upto 75F, I am sure in my early days I went above that and Witbiers have always been one of my tastiest brews

3) French Saison - I dont have this yeast yet but instead of doing Witbiers I can do a saison and this yeast would handle any temperature.

I know #3 will work, do you think #1 & #2 are doable if its 1+ week into primary fermentation?

I think you would be fine with almost any ale yeast if you are controlling temp for the first week, as the first couple days is the growth phase and has the highest potential for off flavors. That being said your #2 and 3 options will give the best results.

Really if you pitch a good quantity of healthy yeast, your fermenation will be 90% over in a week anyway (for a sub 1.055 brew that is). I always ramp up my temps to 70 for a day or two at the end to make sure it finishes to completion. Higher temps won't hurt a beer after fermenation is complete (within reason I guess). 1, 2, or 3.

Really if you pitch a good quantity of healthy yeast, your fermenation will be 90% over in a week anyway (for a sub 1.055 brew that is). I always ramp up my temps to 70 for a day or two at the end to make sure it finishes to completion. Higher temps won't hurt a beer after fermenation is complete (within reason I guess). 1, 2, or 3.

I actually have to disagree. I made a wheat beer in January and fermented it in the low 60's for 2 weeks. I did it by keeping my thermostat temperature down and it was cold in the apartment. After the beer went to a keg I raised the temperature to 68F in the apartment. The beer came out with crazy phenolics which was a result of keg sitting at 68F for 2 weeks. :(

Hmm, did you take a gravity reading before racking to the keg? Maybe it was slowly chugging along in the low 60's and wasn't finished yet? It's just never been my experience to have beers get estery or phenolic with higher temps POST fermentation. YMMV.

I sure did, it was not the first time me doing the recipe. After 3 weeks of fermentation it was at FG. It's not like I moved it with 10 points to go. Really sucks because a month in the fridge is not helping the beer. I am still drinking it though.

I think I'll go with French Saison just to make sure I dont have any issues. I dont know what kind of weather we'll have but its March and its currently 77F in NY. For all I know its going to be in the 90's in May.

Back