Average clearing times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B1GDave

Reaction score
I know there is a TON of variables but what would you say is the average time it takes for wine to clear in the 1st rack?

If you degas it will clear faster. I've only made an Apple wine and it took it 2-3 months to before it stopped dropping lees.

1-3 months most wines. Never with rubarb wine!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

In my experience most wines will be clear at the 3-4 month mark. I like to let my wines bulk age in the carboy for around 5 months or more before bottling and they are normally crystal clear by then.

It depends on the wine. Many wines will throw lees for months, while some others are clear after a week in secondary.

Dandelion takes forever to be totally clear, but my rhubarb wine was completely clear by 3 weeks old.

I have some apple wines that I made this fall that aren't quite crystal clear, but I have a blackberry wine that has been clear since about September.

I use pectic enzyme in almost all of my fruit wines, and that helps alot.

It depends on the wine. Many wines will throw lees for months, while some others are clear after a week in secondary.

Dandelion takes forever to be totally clear, but my rhubarb wine was completely clear by 3 weeks old.

I have some apple wines that I made this fall that aren't quite crystal clear, but I have a blackberry wine that has been clear since about September.

I use pectic enzyme in almost all of my fruit wines, and that helps alot.

I've made five different batches of rubarb wine. Not one cleared on its own! Blends with 50% rubarb also do not clear. Everything else clears up easily. I use peptic enzyme 24h before pitching the yeast. My only guess is that I squeeze the pulp mass way too much when I take it out. But I really don't want to loose any of that wine! :) Do you add any other type of enzymes?
My last batch has been sitting for six months, not dropping leese for the last two rackings. I was just about to dose it with supper klear. The fresh rubarb is desperatly waiting for a carboy!
Do you have any hints on how to clear rubarb wine? I would love not to use clearing stuff for my next batches. Yeast recendations? I have used both 1116 and Premeir Curvee. It comes out so tasty I have not tried other yeasties yet.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Wine should not clear in the first rack. All the first rack does is get the wine off the gross lees so that it doesn't pick up off-flavors from the dead yeast cells or rotting fruit.

Now, after that the wine will start to clear. Could take a week...could take a year.

Back