average age of a home brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how old are you

• 20-25

• 25-30

• 30-35

• 35-40

• 40+

Results are only viewable after voting.
Anyone over the age of 40 already has one foot in the grave. Literally moments from death. Hence, why they are all lumped into one category.

You'll all be stone-dead in a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Then I guess I need to get busy and brew some more so that there's enough beer for my funeral!

I have found that there is a huge mix of folks in my HBC. I would say if we took a pole and averaged it out it would probably somewhere in the upper 30's that would be the average age. I starter 3 or 4 years ago when I was in my mid 20's and I am 28 now. I wish I would have known that I could have bought all the ingredients for this before I was actually 21. Cost was an inhibitor for me, however. I didn't really have the 100ish bucks for the starter kit until a few years ago. Glad I got into the hobby though.

I'm 31... Only been at this for 1.5years.

You'll get a skewed view on the age of brewers by poling here, as the use of technology favors the younger generation(s). I'd say the # of > 40 is equal to the total < 40, though. The homebrew stigma is quickly fading away, so more and more people are getting into it.... on both sides of the age bracket.

I really hope life doesn't end at 40, though... I'm yet to have my mid-life crisis, so I think I'm safe to last a while longer.

Granted that the sample is small but it is interesting that the poll results show a steady increase with age except for the dip at 35-40. Kids?

Of course, I'm 55 with a 5- and 6-year old at home. Go figure. Brewing helps maintain my sanity!

54. Just stacked green firewood so I feel 75. Got together with brother in law over some homebrew and our wives said we acted 12. Just started brewing last year.

Def shoulda been a over 50 group for us old farts. From a time when the only brewers that existed were troglodytes. Cave brewers,cave men,cave women ...Neanderthal!
Sudbuster when we were out chasin' cave chicks after much cactus juice one day...

Last edited by a moderator:
20 but il be 21 in two days. Been brewing for about a year now. Gotta start early

I'm 23 and just starting to get into home brew.

I am 41 but did my first attempt when I was 26. I think it was too much for me then. I did 2 batches then and wasnt happy with either gave it up and started again about to bottle my first batch tonight!

Age 52 === started around age 30 = 22 years brewing +/-

I have brewed something every year and went all grain around my 3rd year brewing - went all electric 3 batches ago.

I will never use propane again.....

I didn't think people over 40 knew how to use the internet. :D

Well,actually:D...it depends on whether they had kids in the last 30 years or not. I'm pretty good at it,but my older brother isn't. So you're partly right. :mug:...this coming from one who's started on his first beer of the afternoon...:tank:

Back