average age of a home brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how old are you

• 20-25

• 25-30

• 30-35

• 35-40

• 40+

Results are only viewable after voting.
Started at 30, still at it while pushing 50. Seen alot of the 20 somethings come and go due to short attention spans...too many video games...

My average age depends on the day and my stress level. Most days I'm 49, 'long about Friday and Saturday I'm 25, Sunday, closer to 35 or 40, and come Monday morning, I'm about 110. :cross:
Only been at this about two years, but learned a ton just readin' :rockin:

I am 43 and started home brewing at 27. As you will find out, this is a hobby many stick with for years. :mug:

Some one should chart or graph the results. Would be cool to see

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ok, ho le fuk i didnt expect quite that big of a turn out but to address a few question.

the reason for the 40+ category was because i was having trouble setting up the poll and didnt manage to add enough poll questions when it finally went through. (and yes life ends at 40..... how low do you dangle?)

interesting info none the less.

30, started brewing this year.

Here's a semi-related anecdote: There's 2 LHBS on the same street out here, about a mile from each other. One's run by a "40+" bald guy. The other by a fedora-wearing couple in a much younger age bracket.

Being a new brewer, I've been in both more than a few times over the past few months. Old bald guy's shop always has brewers around, and he really knows his stuff. Last time I was in, he'd just sold the last of his EKG, so he called a friend and borrowed a pack to sell me (without my asking, mind you) so I wouldn't have to put off brew day.

Trendy couple's shop is clearly aimed toward the local college kids, offering classes and kits that promise beer in 2 weeks. They don't seem to know their customers, and when I asked for a packet of Windsor, was told they special order all their yeast because when they kept it on hand it all went past its best-by date.

38...just. Obey SHMBO. But the ingredients then ask permission. It is easier to apologise.

Craft brewing for oh 4 months

Should we middle aged adults feel old since the poll cuts off at 40?

I'm 43, just started brewing late last year to have a winter hobby.

I had a lot of fun in my 20's but real life doesn't even start until your in your 30's and your 40's are even better. At least for me it is.

Anyone over the age of 40 already has one foot in the grave. Literally moments from death. Hence, why they are all lumped into one category.

You'll all be stone-dead in a minute.

I'm 30 years old. I've been home brewing beer and wine since I was 6 years old with my father. My dad's father made home brew in Newfoundland Canada and sold it in stores. Yes he sold it in stores, you can if it is less then 3%. He had a mini home brewery called Bumble B Beer, And tought my dad. Then my mom's father made wine. He tought my dad how to do it and my dad taught me. So I've been doing it for 25 years. I'm starting to believe home brewing is a dieing art. Younger people are to lazy to learn, and they don't understand how much cheaper it is then store bought beer.

Im 43 and have been brewing off and on since i was 16 with my buddies from school. Back then it was just can kits that made swill but we didnt care!

I'm 30 years old. I've been home brewing beer and wine since I was 6 years old with my father. My dad's father made home brew in Newfoundland Canada and sold it in stores. Yes he sold it in stores, you can if it is less then 3%. He had a mini home brewery called Bumble B Beer, And tought my dad. Then my mom's father made wine. He tought my dad how to do it and my dad taught me. So I've been doing it for 25 years. I'm starting to believe home brewing is a dieing art. Younger people are to lazy to learn, and they don't understand how much cheaper it is then store bought beer.

I would disagree, I taught both my son in law and my youngest daughter how to home brew. So all is not lost. :)

Sent from my van, down by the river.

Anyone over the age of 40 already has one foot in the grave. Literally moments from death. Hence, why they are all lumped into one category.

You'll all be stone-dead in a minute.

Yeah, we're moments from death, but what a friggin' party we're having on our way out.

Over 40 (or, better, over 50) means- no kids at home, disposable income, paid off mortgages, and retirement! Yeah, baby- life is best over about 45 and keeps getting better!

I brewed 10 gallons today, and have 20 gallons on tap in the kegerator and about 100 gallons of wine hanging around. My house is alot more fun that some young folks'! :D

I'm 23 and have been brewing since last November!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back