Autosparge and March pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrislehr

Reaction score
WILL IT WORK?

Ive read pro and con on this.. will a march pump seize? Or will it push the autosparge open? Anyone using these together? I'm in a 10g HD cooler.

I wish I could be more help here, but I would imagine it would be rough on your pump, as well as the autosparge having your ball valve from the pump wide open the entire time. But then if you turn down the flow of your pump, what is the purpose of the autosparge in the first place? I always think of the autosparge for use with gravity stand.

WILL IT WORK?

Ive read pro and con on this.. will a march pump seize? Or will it push the autosparge open? Anyone using these together? I'm in a 10g HD cooler.

The pump won't seize and it won't push the autosparge open. It should work just fine.

I work in IT. Should's and could's get people fired.. anyone got real life experience?

I work in IT. Should's and could's get people fired.. anyone got real life experience?

You can shut off a march pump completely with a valve on the output and it will do no harm. I've done it many times. The autosparge is a float valve and if you know anything about how a float valve works you would realize that there is no way that these feeble pumps could overwhelm the valve mechanism. I work for myself, so no fear of getting fired. You have my sympathy in that department.

the march pumps are not positive displacement units, so shutting off the flow won't damage them.

I run my autosparge with a march pump. But, for me at least, the "auto" part of the autosparge never worked. The pump controls the flow completely. If it were me, I'd forget the autosparge and run the pump through a tube that rests on the grain bed (the way the autosparge's does) and not waste my money on the auto sparge. I'm a fan of Blichmann products, but this one just doesn't work, for me at least.

I wonder if the autosparge has a pressure threshold for it to operate completely on the float. The easy way to reduce the output pressure of the march is to tee off the output and run a feedback loop to the input. You put a valve on that loop and when it's partially open, you reduce the pressure on the line going to the autosparge.

You can shut off a march pump completely with a valve on the output and it will do no harm. I've done it many times. The autosparge is a float valve and if you know anything about how a float valve works you would realize that there is no way that these feeble pumps could overwhelm the valve mechanism. I work for myself, so no fear of getting fired. You have my sympathy in that department.

Slightly condescending, no? Sorry if I offended you and best of luck with your quarterly tax payments :D

My march pump definitely does not like to be dead headed. Makes an awful racket.

theres something wrong there...there should be no noise other then the motor humming along when dead headed. Our pumps are the noisiest when under full flow. If you like, you can send it to me and i will check it out for you. No cost other then to ship it to me here :)

And pardon my ignorance but what is an autosparge? i dont brew personaly so im a bit green on some of these terms you guys use.

-Waler

And pardon my ignorance but what is an autosparge? i dont brew personaly so im a bit green on some of these terms you guys use.

-Waler

It's an over priced toilet shutoff made by blichmann.

40618b.jpg

_

As long as its on the outlet side of the pump i dont see it being a problem at all....i dont think our pumps can generate enough psi to overpower it.....if they happen to all you would need to do it install a ball valve on the discharge side and choke it a tad till it works properly for you :)

-Walter

Back