Austin home brew wunder grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundaypapers

Reaction score
I've seen these for a while in the Austin homebrew shop, and have always been curious about them. I'm really tempted to pick some up and just roll the dice. Anyone had experience with them before? I'm also tempted just to get the magic hop dust packs and really throw caution to the wind. If nothing else, I figure I can use the wort for starters, just put it in a bunch of jars and keep them in the fridge until I'm ready. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah, I don't think you can get them except for in store purchase. I believe it's orders that were never picked up or messed up orders, or maybe just random grains that are milled and packaged in ten pound bags. When you walk in they are usually just piled up, sometimes there's like ten bags, sometimes none, just depends. But when it's 7.99 for ten pounds, seems like a deal, if for nothing but fun brewing.
They do have a new recipe, a shot in the dark, that I believe incorporates these grains to some extent. The idea is it's a "one of a kind" brew. Again, not something to do when you're going for something, but just a fun experiment.
My fear is that it'll be like 70% crystal 150 or something.

Sounds like their "a shot in the dark" recipe kits.

Sounds like a fun way to crank out a cheap beer. I say go for it. If it sucks, drink a few glasses of something better and save the brew wunder batch for when you can't taste anymore anyway.

Yeah, it's the shot in the dark, but only ten pounds of mixed grains, not the kit which comes with extract. It sounds cool, I just wondered, since someone is buying them, how the beers have turned out. I'm almost more interested in hearing a horror story than a positive one, just to see what I could potentially be dealing with. I keep dme on hand, if need be, and I can do larger batches as well, just curious about what others have experienced.

I think the problem is that anyone else's good or bad experience would have no bearing on the bag you would buy. It's a total crap shoot.

Don't get me wrong- I'd love to read stories and see pics from folks who have done it. It would be a cool thread.

Cool, thanks for the encouragement. I'll bite the bullet and brew some up and post my results.

So I tried this. I bought two ten pound bags of wunder grains. One bag had a considerable amount of dark and crystal malts, and oatmeal, probably a quarter of the bag. The other was mostly lighter malts and I think a little munich malt, from what I could tell.
I also picked up 9 packs of the "magic hop dust", because they were 69 cents and I figured "why not?".
I did one batch, yielding 9 gallons of wort, hopped with 3 oz at 60 minutes, 3 oz at 5 minutes and 3 oz at flameout. I then split between two fermenters and fermented one with windsor yeast and one with Nottingham yeast, just for kicks.
The wort smelled and tasted amazing. Ended up at 1.057.
The windsor batch got down to 1.016 and the Nottingham got to 1.019 after 3 weeks in the fermenter, held at 62-65 for the first week then let it rise up to about 70 for the rest of the time(swamp cooler).
At bottling time I took tasting notes. The batches were strikingly different. The windsor batch was very malt forward, lots of roast and coffee, thin and dry finish. The Nottingham was very fruity, slight banana pineapple tropical flavors and aromas, but the body was very full in comparison.
Now they have been bottled just over a month. I don't know what style these were, but I would guess a brown ale or oatmeal stout type. Possibly foreign stout...
All in all I am pleased with the results. The bags of grain were 7.99 each and the hops 69 cents per ounce, so this beer was inexpensive to make, and I really rather enjoyed the lack of structure involved in the process. Made for a very relaxing experience. If I had to do it all over again I would have added some 2 row just to help mellow out the darker malts, though this beer is not sweet at all, nice and dry with lots of roasty coffee type flavor, molasses, etc. but I brew less often these days and would have enjoyed a little more of a "middle of the road" type style, like Amber or what have you.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413076851.171236.jpg

Latest posts

Back