Austin Home Brew Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinny91

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking at trying a summer ale partial mash kit .After doing a quick search I couldn't really find the answer to my questions so here I am. For those who have ordered from AHS, how is the quality of ingredients? Any good or bad experiences using them? How did your beer turn out? Anyone brewed the summer blonde or Sam Adams summer clone? I am still new at brewing and have usually used NB or Midwest.

Thanks all,

Vinny :mug:

PS My apologies if I did not spend enough time searching

AHS is great, atleast from my experiences, I brewed a double wit from them, and am looking to possibly doing their arrogant bastard clone. I wouldnt have a second thought of buying from them.

Hello all,

how is the quality of ingredients?

Very good.

Any good or bad experiences using them?

Very good.

How did your beer turn out?

Very good.

Anyone brewed the summer blonde or Sam Adams summer clone?

Nope.

Overall, I have been pleased with AHS. There have been a couple times I wish things had shipped a little faster, but I opted for the free shipping and it shipped within the window they said it would, so that's not really a viable complaint, as I got what I was promised. I think once they left out a pound of grain but they sent it too me as soon as I pointed out the omission.

Bottom line, they're not perfect, but no one is, and I have no reservations about recommending them.

There is also a vendor review section down below. It will may be listed as AHS. They are a fantastic vendor IMO.

ahs is a good place. i've been there a few times, and have used their ingredients to make all-grain. they have fresh ingredients, and know their stuff. haven't used kits, but i've read a lot of threads where they mention ahs, and it's always good feedback

Austin Homebrew is pretty consistently about as good as it gets, both in quality ingredients and customer service.

The beer will turn out great if you brew it right :) IMO, brewing beer is about 80% process and about 20% art. Your first batch may not be 100% the same as the commercial Sam Adams version, but if you clean and sanatize well and follow all of the instructions, you will make good, drinkable beer.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I will also check out the similar threads as Revvy suggested.

Cheers,

Vinny

I haven't tried the kit in question, but I have had nothing but positive experiences with AHS. Shipping is very reasonable, and quick. The grain bill combining option they offer is a big plus, the grain is usually cracked well, and I've never received liquid yeast from them that was over a month post-manufacture date.

Also, if you like the partial mash kits, don't be afraid to order from their "brewing on a budget" list. They are a very good value and quality, albeit basic, but you can easily add more grain or hops to tweak the flavor and consistency. I do this all the time to experiment with recipes.

Never done that kit, but AHS is excellent. Excellent ingredient quality, excellent customer service. I support my LHBS when possible, but AHS is definitely my go to online vendor.

the only problem I have with AHS is the shipping time to NY, but I guess thats not really their fault....

The only one I have ordered from so far is AHS and I have no complaints to date. I think there might have been an issue at some point in the past, but it was quickly resolved if there was.

Vinny91 said:
Hello all,

I am looking at trying a summer ale partial mash kit .After doing a quick search I couldn't really find the answer to my questions so here I am. For those who have ordered from AHS, how is the quality of ingredients? Any good or bad experiences using them? How did your beer turn out? Anyone brewed the summer blonde or Sam Adams summer clone? I am still new at brewing and have usually used NB or Midwest.

Thanks all,

Vinny :mug:

PS My apologies if I did not spend enough time searching

I've had nothing but good experiences with AHS and confidently recommend them to you. I've had great luck with their clone and AHS kits (all grain).

-John

Thanks again everyone. This helps make my decision much easier. I think I'll go ahead and give them a try.

Cheers,

Vinny

I'm fortunate enough that AHS is my LHBS! I'm a new brewer and have tried to spend some time in there just eavesdropping and learning. I have brewed one of their kits, the White House Honey Ale, and it's bottle conditioning as we speak. If the final product tastes half as good as the sample I had while bottling, I'll be very happy. I am about to jump into AG and am planning on a trip out there soon. The guys in there are always ready to help and they have a customer service line that you can call with any questions about their kits as well. It's also pretty dang cool to walk in and watch them mill the grains right there in the store! So, in my very limited brewing experience, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I really like that I can order everything on the web and they will have it ready for me to pick up the next day!

Back