Auber Instruments PID for Fermentation Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

314alias

Reaction score
All i am wanting to know is what i need to heat and cool a fridge so that i can ferment and control the temp.

I am looking at a Auber Instruments PID, but do not know which one.

I will heat with a light bulb, and cool with the refrigeration unit.

Do i need a seperate SSR? I do not know if i need anything extra to make this work for heat and cool. I am sure there is a thread out there that says exactly what i need but i have yet to find it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

All i am wanting to know is what i need to heat and cool a fridge so that i can ferment and control the temp.

I am looking at a Auber Instruments PID, but do not know which one.

I will heat with a light bulb, and cool with the refrigeration unit.

Do i need a seperate SSR? I do not know if i need anything extra to make this work for heat and cool. I am sure there is a thread out there that says exactly what i need but i have yet to find it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

The PID action on a refrigeration unit wont work well because the compressor needs to be off at least a few minutes before turning on again. A PID will be trying to turn it on and off too fast - I'm sure you can adjust a setting somewhere, but why spend the money on a PID and then adjust it to be an on/off thermostat??

My fermentation chamber is controlled by an STC-1000 thermostat from Amazon for less than $20 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KVCPH2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I put an SSR on it because I thought the inrush current for the fridge might be more than the 10a contacts in the STC-1000 could handle, but I bet they could handle it.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the STC-1000, there's tons of wire diagrams and pics on HBT that can get you going. It's so easy even I figured it out. IMO a PID would work fine, but be overkill for this application.

Back