Attention Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spie0092

Reaction score
Hey fellow brewers,

I just joined this forum this morning and I suppose I am here to learn and take advice when needed. I am a beginning homebrewer and I am currently on my second batch. My first bach turned out great considering I have no prior experience and really didn't know what the heck I was doing.

I currently have an Irish Stout in the second stage of fermentation and plan on bottling next weekend.

I guess I will start out with a question and see what I get: I am interested in brewing a Hefeweizen and wanted to know if anyone had a good recipe or any advice about taking this project on. Maybe a recipe that produces a slight lemony flavor so I can get my fiance to drink it.

Or just say hello, whatever.

Thanks all, and I look forward to your response,

Howard

Welcome to the forum. As per the reciepe, 6 pounds of wheat LME (liquid malt extract) boiled for 60 min. with 1 oz. of Hallertau hops. Cool, and pitch with a liquid wheat yeast, this is important to the style. A quick search can help you find reciepes and help when you need it.

sause said:
Welcome to the forum. As per the reciepe, 6 pounds of wheat LME (liquid malt extract) boiled for 60 min. with 1 oz. of Hallertau hops. Cool, and pitch with a liquid wheat yeast, this is important to the style. A quick search can help you find reciepes and help when you need it.

Here's my Quick and Easy recipe, similar to Sause's.

Boil .75 ounces of hallertau in 3 gallons of water, for 45 minutes.
Throw in .25 more oz of hallertau, boil for 5 minutes.
Throw in 6 pounds of Wheat Dry Malt Extract, boil for 10 minutes.

Total boiling time, 1 hour.

When it's cooled, siphon it through a strainer into a sanitized carboy. Add Wyeast #3638 - Weiheinstephan Ale Yeast.

Let it sit in a dark room no colder than 70º and no warmer than 75º for 2 weeks, then bottle (with about 1 cup of wheat DME) or keg.

Serve with a slice of lemon for lemony flavor.

Yes, they gave you ingredients for a five-gallon batch. When you pour from your brew kettle to the primary fermenter, if you find that you have less than five, top off with clean water to make it five.

P.S. - Welcome!

Thanks to everyone... I can tell that this is going to be a great resource and place to meet educated brewers. Thanks for all of the quick responses. You really know how to make a guy feel welcome.

Back