Aromatic Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joety

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy gang

Been offline for way to long. Looking to make a beer (ale or lager) that has a good malty flavor but has a clean, crisp, dry finish. Really don't like sweet, cloying beers. I thought maybe I'd try making a beer with 100% Aromatic Malt and mash at 147/148.

Has anyone tried something like that?

Is this around 20-25L ? I didn't think it could convert itself? I'm curious because if it will I want to do one in a smash. Vienna has a great malty flavor and works well at 100%

Aromatic malt has a lintner of 20-29 from what I can find. It's recommended that the total average lintner for a mash is >30 for conversion. Second on the Vienna for a clean, malty, crisp beer. Maybe cut it with pils 50%.

Thanks, guys. I hadn't thought of that, but I will definitely mix in pils or 2-row 50/50 and give it a whirl. I'm thinking of hopping for Hallertau or similar.

Hah! I was just toying with this idea myself: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7548373#post7548373

Basically, I'm going to do 50/50 Munich/Aromatic, since that should have a high enough diastatic power to convert.

I have heard of people doing 100% aromatic, but I'm not sure if that was the same stuff that I have (Briess), or some other malster with different characteristics.

Let me know how yours turns out! I'll be brewing mine this weekend.

Back