Are Oats Used in Notable Quatities Outside Stouts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
Fairly straight-forward question: are oats used in any significant quantity in brews outside stouts? Malted oats, flaked oats, either/or.

It's not a far cry from a stout, but I enjoy toasted oats in my American Brown.

What percentage of the grain bill for a single ingredient would you say is large enough to be considered significant? Even in an oatmeal stout, the oats usually don't make up more than 10-15% of the grain bill.

You can put 1/2 - 1 lb of oats in a lot of beers - especially browns and porters, resulting in a creamy mouthfeel and good head retention.

In my next brew, I'm using just .25 pound of oats in the mash. It's a recipe for Irish Draught, from NorthernBrewer.com. It's not a significant amount, I guess, but I would expect to get some body, mouthfeel, and head retention from it.

Historically, oats were used in significant proportions in everyday 'small' beer. See the recipe for King Henry VII's Sengyll Beere in my dropdown.

Brewers used what grains they could get, frankly. Barley malt, wheat, oats, rye, dredge (a mixture of oats and unmalted barley) - all went into the mash tun. The proportions used depended on the availability and price in a given locale, as well as the brewer's desired result.

By the end of C13 CE, the canons of St Paul's London were receiving 46% wheat, 46% oats and 8% barley. Most of the wheat went to the bakers, but the rest of the wheat and virtually all of the oats and barley went to the maltster.

After 1350 CE - and that round of the Black Death - more arable land went under cultivation for barley and dredge, much of which went to malt. By C16 CE barley was seen as an inferior grain, fetching a lesser price than wheat; as grain prices were pegged on what went into bread, this is unsurprising. But what went not to the bakers went to the maltsters and thence to the brewers. In C16, all-malt beers became supreme; brewed by transplanted Dutch, using the newfangled herb hops, barley-malt beer supplanted all other brewed beverage alcohol by the end of C17.

So: Depending on your desired end, a significant proportion of your grist could be malted or unmalted oats. I'm going to brew another iteration of Henry VII's Sengyll in a few weeks, using malted oats and wheat instead of unmalted.

Cheers!

Bob

I used a crapton of flaked oats in a wit I just did because I only had malted wheat (not flaked) on hand.

I sense there's some other question hiding behind that one. Did you just buy a 55lb sack of flaked oats?

I used a crapton of flaked oats in a wit I just did because I only had malted wheat (not flaked) on hand.

I sense there's some other question hiding behind that one. Did you just buy a 55lb sack of flaked oats?

Heh, is it that transparent? It's not that I bought that much, but I needed malted oats for a red. I also needed flaked oats for a stout. So I'm left with an additional four ounces of malted oats and four ounces of flaked oats. I'm thinking about dumping them all into the red, giving me a total of about 8 oz malted and 4 oz flaked oats in there. Hmmm...

This would be the recipe if I went that route:

4.5 lbs DME
1 lb Brown Sugar

8 oz Golden Naked Oats (malted)
8 oz CaraPils
2 oz Chocolate
4 oz Flaked Oats

1.5oz Willamette (6.4% AA; 60 min)

(Estimates/Calculations)
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.013
IBU: 24
SRM: 13

It started as an extract version of a proven red in the recipe section (Rolf's). But I have these extra oats laying around, and don't want to throw them out...

Heh, is it that transparent? It's not that I bought that much, but I needed malted oats for a red. I also needed flaked oats for a stout. So I'm left with an additional four ounces of malted oats and four ounces of flaked oats. I'm thinking about dumping them all into the red, giving me a total of about 8 oz malted and 4 oz flaked oats in there. Hmmm...

This would be the recipe if I went that route:

4.5 lbs DME
1 lb Brown Sugar

8 oz Golden Naked Oats (malted)
8 oz CaraPils
2 oz Chocolate
4 oz Flaked Oats

1.5oz Willamette (6.4% AA; 60 min)

(Estimates/Calculations)
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.013
IBU: 24
SRM: 13

It started as an extract version of a proven red in the recipe section (Rolf's). But I have these extra oats laying around, and don't want to throw them out...

Those additions are so small that it really doesn't matter. I'd recommend adding a pound of 2-row and do all the grains as a minimash.

Those additions are so small that it really doesn't matter. I'd recommend adding a pound of 2-row and do all the grains as a minimash.

This might sound fairly stupid, but how does one go about the mini-mash? I only have experience with extract plus special grains thus fair. I steep them at 150*F for a half hour to forty-five minutes, then remove the grains and commence the boil. Is this more or less what I'd do for a mini-mash? I suppose the only difference being the presence of the 2-row?

I suppose the only difference being the presence of the 2-row?

Agreed follow the link to how to mini-mash.

However the 2-row convert the starch in the oats. This is slightly more complicated that just steeping, but can be easily done in a crock pot with a thermometer, or in a low temp oven.

Latest posts

Back