are all SCOBY's created equal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every fermenting culture you use will slowly drift towards local cultures, unless your fermentation occurs in lab quality sterility. This isn't really a bad thing, and shouldn't effect the health benefits or flavor of your kombucha.

I don't see the point in paying $30 for a culture when you should be able to find commercial, unpasteurized kombucha for a couple dollars.

Get a bottle of GT's, double its volume with sweet tea, repeat when it tastes sour. Keep doing this till you hit the volume you want.

Every fermenting culture you use will slowly drift towards local cultures, unless your fermentation occurs in lab quality sterility.

well I asked the company linked above and they said that they grow their SCOBYs in a "lab." Which is probably just a back office or basement. Lets assume its actually grown in a lab. Does that mean anything?

Also where would be a good place to get a Jun SCOBY (eats honey instead of sugar and brews faster)?

Ive been doing a lot of reading about this lately and it seems no they are not all created equal http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8559192 this link shows that a bunch of scobys tested all had different components.

I asked kombucha Brooklyn for a lab analysis of their scoby, will be interesting to see what they say. On another note, I'm getting ready to build my own super scoby from scratch so i can put in the components I'm looking for into it from birth Im thinking a bit of brewers yeast, some sauerkraut water and some skins from wild berries should get things going.

Ive been doing a lot of reading about this lately and it seems no they are not all created equal http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8559192 this link shows that a bunch of scobys tested all had different components.

I asked kombucha Brooklyn for a lab analysis of their scoby, will be interesting to see what they say. On another note, I'm getting ready to build my own super scoby from scratch so i can put in the components I'm looking for into it from birth Im thinking a bit of brewers yeast, some sauerkraut water and some skins from wild berries should get things going.

Interesting idea. Where did you get the idea to build a scoby from scratch? Is that something that is known to work?

I read a thred on here yesterday about someone in Isreal could not get a scoby or tea and had some luck making Thier own scoby. Then last night I noticed a jar of sweet tea I left out at room temp for a week or so and it had strands growing in it similar to those that can connect a floating scoby to one in the bottom. So I started thinking it might be fun to grow my own beast, maybe find something to sour beers with to my liking in the process

I read a thred on here yesterday about someone in Isreal could not get a scoby or tea and had some luck making Thier own scoby. Then last night I noticed a jar of sweet tea I left out at room temp for a week or so and it had strands growing in it similar to those that can connect a floating scoby to one in the bottom. So I started thinking it might be fun to grow my own beast, maybe find something to sour beers with to my liking in the process

A little note on that.

I experimented with growing a scoby once but using only open fermentation.

I made a regular batch of sweet tea and instead of adding kombucha tea + scoby I only added white vinegar to bring the pH down to around 3. I covered it with a cloth and let it sit for about three weeks and it began to grow what looked exactly like a typical kombucha scoby. I didn't make more tea from that, so I can't tell you how successful it was, and I didn't drink that tea either, but I thought it was interesting.

I've wondered if it was "spontaneous"; ie. was it only because I had also been brewing kombucha already that the culture got into the sweet tea. And would it have produced a desirable drink?

This is what their lab analysis of their scoby is. I think it would be interesting to start with a culture like this that has a documented make up, just to see what kind of flavour profile it created, but I'm not gonna spend $25usd plus shipping to find out (thats like $100 up in Canada right now :-( )

Yeasts identified:
Zygosaccharomyces bisporus
Zygosaccharomyces kombuchaensis
Dekkera bruxellensis
Starmerella bacillaris

Bacteria identified:
Gluconacetobacter intermedius
Acetobacter tropicalis
Komagataeibacter xylinus

This is what their lab analysis of their scoby is. I think it would be interesting to start with a culture like this that has a documented make up, just to see what kind of flavour profile it created, but I'm not gonna spend $25usd plus shipping to find out (thats like $100 up in Canada right now :-( )

Yeasts identified:
Zygosaccharomyces bisporus
Zygosaccharomyces kombuchaensis
Dekkera bruxellensis
Starmerella bacillaris

Bacteria identified:
Gluconacetobacter intermedius
Acetobacter tropicalis
Komagataeibacter xylinus

how do we know that all scoby's dont already have a profile similar to this?

Latest posts

Back