applying for a roomate : how to tell them a kegerator isn't alcholism?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
so long story short, the GF and i decided to take a break so i'm looking for a room to crash in for a few months.

most of everything i'm coming across says something along the lines of "no heavy drinking" "no alcoholics" etc.
And as i have a keezer for my home brew, how should i put it that i'll have a kegerator coming with me? If i mention i have a kegerator most of the mentality of people are going to think i drink constantly and am an alcoholic, but in reality, i just use it in ease for serving home brew when i want to pour a pint.

Has anyone went through this? how should i tackle it? i'm not even close to wanting to get rid of the keezer :eek:.

or does anyone in portland area need a roomate for about 6-12 months? :mug:

The other side of the coin...How to keep new roommate out of my beer!
I guess that if someone can't understand the concept of homebrewing and responsible drinking, they wouldn't make a good housemate, anyway. And if they're too excited about your keezer, that's also a red flag.
Good luck in your search.

That's a tough one, man. I'd say your best bet would be to present it as the culinary hobby it is. Many people bake large batches of cookies, or can excessive amounts of pickles, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have an eating disorder. I'd say the same applies to home brewing beer, you do it 'cause you love it, not because you want to cheaply drink yourself into oblivion on a daily basis.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
That's a tough one, man. I'd say your best bet would be to present it as the culinary hobby it is. Many people bake large batches of cookies, or can excessive amounts of pickles, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have an eating disorder. I'd say the same applies to home brewing beer, you do it 'cause you love it, not because you want to cheaply drink yourself into oblivion on a daily basis.

+1

I tell people that I'm a nerd and love cooking and gourmet food.

Brewing = bill nye + cooking

Most people can accept this rationale instead if assuming I'm a drunk

Awesome, thanks for the help guys! i think i just may end up doing a very long explanation of the subject and that it's just another part of the hobby :). like he said up above, people can a crap ton of pickles, but they don't have an eating disorder

no faucet locks on them at the moment, or prolly ever, i'm cheap and they're expensive lol

As deep and varried as the beer culture is in the Portland area I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find a beer lover who understands that brewing and alcoholism are not tied together. There are tons of craft beer lovers and brewers in the area. Just put up a classified in several appropriate places and list you are an avid home brewer in your ad. People who have issue with that can just not contact you.

IF someone puts no heavy drinking in the ad, I'm guessing there is some aversion to alcohol. It may be a problem that you won't be able to overcome.

Edit:
Also heavy drinking is a relative term. My boss drinks 2 beers a year. If you go through a 6 pack in a month you are 'heavy drinking' to him.

well... what kinda beer you like?! you can share in my sabco clone brewing stand with keggles whenever you like! ;) :mug:

Sorry, your brewing rig does not sound ghetto enough for me. I have low standards.

Seriously though, good luck with everything.

you can share in my sabco clone brewing stand with keggles whenever you like! ;) :mug:

Feel like moving to Minnesota? :ban: I definitely have space next to all my brewing equip. in my basement. We'll call it an even trade; you get a spot to sleep, I get to use your rig on brew days. :ban: :tank:

No really, I like the idea of just placing an ad for a home brewer looking for a room/apt. Puts it right out there, in a good light, and you'll probably get responses from other brewers and/or folks interested in craft beer and brewing.

If you are trying to justify why it is not alcoholism..... The problem is alcoholism...

Sorry. If it wasn't an issue, you would just drop it. sell it/part it. and deal without it for a few months.

Probably sound like your ex-gf now. Sorry. just being cynical.

most of everything i'm coming across says something along the lines of "no heavy drinking" "no alcoholics" etc.

Why would you want to room with those prudes anyway?

But if you like prudes, you could tell them you enjoy large amounts of seltzer/homemade soda and thats why you need the kegerator. After you move in and they find out you're pouring beer, tell them you don't know how that got in there but you're working hard to get rid of the demon booze. Good luck.

Back