Apple Mead = Cyser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopherM

Reaction score
I make my own syrups and add them to meads. If I add apple syrup to a mead, is it technically a cyser? Does cyser imply the blending of a cider and a mead, or just any apple flavored mead? Need to know where to enter it in BJCP. I'm leaning towards entering it as a cyser either way, as I think trying to explain it as an "apple melomel" will confuse the judges.

I would consider it a cyser. Cyser is just a specific name for what you mentioned; ie, "apple melomel."

I haven't entered too many contests, but I think pretty much all of the entries I've done, there's been a place to specifiy any special techniques you used...I would use that to identify that you first created a syrup, then added to the fermentation. This may help judges understand any atypical flavors (but not necessarily bad/off flavors) they may be perceiving (perhaps caramelization, etc. from the process of syrup creation).

From the BJCP guidelines:

M2A. Cyser A Cyser is a melomel made with apples (generally cider). Overall Impression: In well-made examples of the style, the fruit is both distinctive and well-incorporated into the honeysweet-acid-tannin-alcohol balance of the mead. Some of the best strong examples have the taste and aroma of an aged Calvados (apple brandy from northern France), while subtle, dry versions can taste similar to many fine white wines. There should be an appealing blend of the fruit and honey character but not necessarily an even balance. Generally a good tannin-sweetness balance is desired, though very dry and very sweet examples do exist.

I wouldn't consider an apple flavored mead or a honey sweetened cider to be a cyser. But if you can achieve the style guidelines, then who would know?

Thanks for the input. I'm going to enter it in Cyser and see how it goes, then reevaluate for the next one. I had read the style description, and know that it technically fits in that category, I'm just worried about the judges misinterpreting it because cider/mead cysers dominate the entries, and mine is completely different, just happens to be apple. I'm also leary to enter a description, because then they will micro-analyse it. I'm a BJCP judge, and while I'm really better with beer than mead, I think I would give it more of an objective shake without the description. The good thing is it will certainly stand out from the other entries. I'll let you know in early March how it went!

Back