Mead vs. Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remix514

Reaction score
Apologies up front if this isn't relevant or I missed a thread already related.
I have been trying a basic mead for about 3 batches so far.
The first did not finish, however I had broken my hydrometer therefore couldn't get accurate readings. It "finished" very sweet and seemed to be low abv.
I have made decent amount of ciders and cysers and never seem to have an issue.
Would the addition of apple juice be enough to provide nutrients to allow for a fully dry brew? I can't figure why I have issues with a basic mead but when juice is added and usually a higher starting gravity I have no issues.

Are you saying that you don't add any nutrients to your straight meads? Honey, and thus mead must, is very low in nutrients, and needs significant additions. I would not expect a mead without added nutrients to finish. I'd suggest looking into staggered nutrient additions.

Are you saying that you don't add any nutrients to your straight meads? Honey, and thus mead must, is very low in nutrients, and needs significant additions. I would not expect a mead without added nutrients to finish. I'd suggest looking into staggered nutrient additions.
I added nutrients when I pitched the yeast per a certain youtube video I watched. I know I need to do better with nutrients. Rhe real question is...does the fruit juice in cysers or "melomels" I've had luck with provide enough extra nutrients to give me the results I've been getting? I've had 12-14% cysers with no nutrients. My straight meads have all seemed to stall at less than 7% abv.

Back