Apple Jack Non Apple Flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindenMan

Reaction score
I have just got to ask, if anyone has a similar flavor situation occurring in their apple jack; adding a concentrate other than straight apple to apple. What I mean is since (in my experience) other frozen juice concentrates are not just what they are supposed to be: apple-cherry FJC has grape juice, and pear juice, and a couple of other juices/additives and the last ingredient was cherry juice/concentrate. Apple cranberry was basically the same, except cranberry. What I am trying to ask is: has anybody else experienced a "brandy" sort of flavor in their apple jack when using additional juice concentrates that have any kind of grape juice in them? Not that I really mind the "brandy" essence in my apple jack, I am more interested in an apple eau de vie along the line of a Calvados apple brandy, than a cheap wanna be cognac.

I'm not sure your going to get much of an answer on that one. Ive noticed that when someone suggests using frozen concentrate to make cider there is almost always a "Don't do that, use the real stuff" response. And personally if I was going to go threw the extra effort of freeze concentration, I would make it a point to start with the highest quality juice I can find.
That said, This sounds like the chance for a cool experiment to me. Make a few one gallon batches of cider made with different ingredients and see what you get. I would imagine that the flavor you are after would be a matter of either grape juice ( what types of grapes give what flavor? ) or perhaps oak chips in secondary.

There are many of us that make great tasting ciders using FAJC, that was not my point; apple-cherry juice concentrate contains a whole more than just apple and cherry. I actually am making different juice combinations 1 gallon at a time, and this is the first time I have noticed a "brandy" like after taste.

Sorry if I phrased that poorly. I'm not telling you not to use FJC, after all most of the juice you buy in the store is from concentrate anyways.
But I do belive grape juice and oak chips are the key to recreating that specific brandy flavor you were asking about.

Back