Apple cider additions taste medicinal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalaloch

Reaction score
I’ve done both blueberry cider (approx 4 gallons Tree Top Apple juice and 2 lbs frozen blueberries) and cherry cider (same quantities of juice/fruit as above). And both taste medicinal even after bulk aging 6 months and bottle aged 2-3 months. Am I using too much fruit? (I rack the cider after 30 days then add the fruit and then I leave the fruit in carboy for 30 days). The blueberry really tasted medicinal and the cherry cider a little less so but still noticeable.

All the commercial ciders that have other fruit additions don’t taste like this (ok obviously they have better equipment, etc), but is there something I can do to adjust/remove this medicinal taste? Or are commercial cider companies using fruit extracts or other tricks?

Last edited:
I made a similar blackberry and blueberry cider using 5 gal of fresh pressed juice from a local cider mill. I fermented for about 14 days then added 3lbs of frozen and thawed black and blueberries in the primary fermenter. I let that go for another 5 days then removed the berries (I put them in a mesh bag for easy removal) and re racked 3 gal to a secondary and kegged 2 gal on my draft system. I’m going to bottle the 3 gal after aging for the past 45 days. I think if you shorten your fermentation time you may avoid some of the off flavors. I noticed some good airlock activity after adding the berries, but never noticed any stinky smells when fermenting on the schedule I mentioned above.

There are process flaws that can do that -

Chlorophenol, like antiseptic mouthwash”

Chlorophenol taints can contaminate cider through residues of cleaning agents, process water and, occasionally, through exposure to defective processing aids or packaging materials. Chlorophenols impart antiseptic, medicinal notes to cider.

Thanks Maylar but I don’t think that is the issue, it is definitely coming from the fruit additions. Either too much fruit or too long in carboy would be my guess.

Dis you notice any mold or fuzz on the berries? I've done cherry cider with puree and mixed berry with frozen / thawed fruit and never got that.

Can you share your process steps? I know of one fining / clearing agent (Super Kleer) that leaves a yucky medicinal taste if you don't allow it to completely drop out of suspension.

My preferred protocol is to add flavors.....juice concentrates etc Post Fermentation. I use 100% fruit juice concentrates from www.brownwoodacres.com - have never had a medicinal taste or any other off taste result...using this approach. I prefer to create the Best cider possible via zero additives during fermentation...then tweak it up from there [emoji111]

Cheers & Good Luck [emoji16]

Back