apfelwein varriation thread......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davis119

Reaction score
Hey I just wanted a thread for all the different variations of this stuff. I know there are alot in the actual thread but its going on encyclopedia status in length.....
And I just made my first batch so if its as good as every one claims ill be making it alot

So post them up successful or not

Successful: 5 gallon batch, half apple juice and half cranapple blend (both old orchard). 1.5 lbs table sugar and 4 cans of juice concentrate.
OG: 1.070
FG: 1.008
It finished nice and sweet with Montrachet, which I think is due to the cranberry blend. I heard that finishes sweeter.

Unsuccessful: 4 gallons apple juice (old orchard), 3 cans concentrate, 1 lbs of sugar, 3068 yeast
OG: 1.070
FG: .996
Dried out and had no flavor after ~3 months on the yeast. I backsweetened, spiced, and bottled, and will have to pasteurize at some point, but it's still not that good. I might have to mix it, since it's 10% it can be cut and still be effective.

Cool. Yeah my next batch I may try with Cran ras

Maybe if A MOD moves this to the wine forum it would be more sucessful

6gal tree top 100% apple juice, 2lb brown sugar, 5 cans of concentrate added after fermentation, S-04 yeast cold brewed at 59F.

OG: .065
FG: .015

aged quickly, drinkable at only 1 month. ive had people tell me it taste like appleviser (apple beer). ive also had one person who drinks allot of cider tell me its better than anything hes found at the store.

1st batch
3gal fresh pressed sweet cider
12oz molasses
12oz dark brown sugar
Lalvin EC-1118
OG 1.074, FG 0.998
2 weeks primary, 3 weeks secondary, bottle condition
lightly sweetened with 2Tbsp Xylitol and primed with 3/8cup corn sugar.
Nice amber color, tart finish with a bite. Residual flavor from the molasses and brown sugar.
I cant tell you how good it is with age because it disappeared to fast to tell. Rave reviews from all my friends. Not enough carbonation for me though.....

2nd batch
6gal fresh pressed sweet cider
5lb white sugar, 2lb light brown sugar, 4cup water
7tsp lemon juice (combine in pot with sugar and slowly raise temp to 280deg, then remove from heat and add 1 gal cider to dissolve) The idea here was to caramelize the sugar, next time I'll use a higher temperature.
7 tea bags (black tea) steeped in 2cups boiling water over night (tannins)
2tsp yeast nutrient
3tsp pectic enzyme
Lalvin 71B-1122
2 weeks primary, 4 weeks secondary, 3 weeks bottle conditioning.
OG 1.082, FG 0.996
Sweetened with 3Tbsp Xylitol and 2Tbsp Lactose per gallon
Primed with 3/4cup per 5 gal.
Finishes smooth with a good mouth feel, not too tart. Good carbonation.
This stuff is awesome ice cold. It goes down so smooth with the sweetness from the xylitol and lactose. Everyone who has tried this has been bugging me for a couple more bottles. It is too easy to drink a lot of this, it will sneak up behind you and knock you on your @ss.

3rd batch
same as batch 2 but I cooked the sugar up to 320 degrees F.
Deep amber caramel flavor after cooking the sugar. Cider tastes like a caramel apple before fermentation. Hoping for some residual sweetness from the caramelized sugar.
I also swapped the tea for 3tsp tannin powder.
OG 1.084
In week 2 of primary now

ugh looks like ill be going to lowes for 3 apflewiein buckets ..... and use them jiust for this stuff ..... i just need the first batch to catch the bug..... cant wait

my sister is a huge reisling (sp) fan im sure she will lov this stuff

Old thread, but I'd like to add a variation-

4.5gal apple juice
2 bags (24oz?) frozen dark, sweet cherries, crushed
2T acid blend
4lb cane sugar
Red Star Pasteur Champagne
Nutrient & Energizer

It finished off nice and dry in about 3 weeks at 63ºF and cleared up nicely with some bentonite after a month in secondary. Bottling tonight, and let's just say it's a "party starter" beverage :) The color isn't the best, but the flavor is nice. I would go with either a nice percentage of cherry juice or twice the whole cherries next time.

Later tonight - 5gal apple juice and somewhere between 8-16oz molasses.

Back