Apfelwein Aging Question (Longevity)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sAvAgE

Reaction score
I am going to be doing another batch of Apfelwein here in January, and get it ready for summer.

Primary 6 Weeks (be a bit drier than the first batch)
Secondary for 3 weeks for extra clearing

When in Bottles will this last til June 21st for the first bottle then by September probably the last?

I am assuming the answer is "yes" however would like to make sure Going to be buying a Primary bucket that will hold a good 80 litres. one batch of apfelwein a year.

Can anyone verify this? aging in bottles that is.

As a Note my basement where I store all of my stock sits in summer at 66F and in winter as low as 58 - 60F

Apfelwein or Cider can last for years. I have a homebrewers gardening book, it specifically states that Cider is superb at 1 year. They compare it to Champagne and say it's better.

Cider also takes longer to ferment and age compared to beer. If the ABV is up there it will do fine, like a stout, porter or barleywine as far as aging goes. These could be aged in the bottle for 2 years in some cases.

So if you follow Ed's recipe you'll be OK. :mug:

Sweet! Let's see pics of it fermenting. Like Schlenkerla says, Apfelwein gets better with age. Good Stuff!

Back