Anyone using Asco Valves to control water flow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on using ASCO's for my water control. I will have a hose inlet reeding a filter and then 2 Asco's to control Fill of my BK and HLT. I will also include a capped T before the filter in case I decide to run a CFC or Plate chiller down the road...

I'm in the same boat, and figure if I am going to automate the work and gas side, why not do the same for water...

BK

Best thing about this idea: no need to also install pilot light safety shutoff valves!

What are you planning on using to signal the fill level? I was just going to say push a button for "HLT Water In" and push it again when I reach my level. Are you saying there is a way to automate this part as well?

What are you planning on using to signal the fill level? I was just going to say push a button for "HLT Water In" and push it again when I reach my level. Are you saying there is a way to automate this part as well?

There is always a way to automate. Just depends on how much cash you want to spend :D

You could use a float switch and set it to a level you always fill to to shut the valve off. That would be cheap enough.
Or you could get more involved with a level sensing setup. Like I said, anything can be done. Just depends on your knowledge and wallet.

At this point what's another couple hundred $$$. My sensors would have to be movable though to accommodate different brews and grain bills.

I would just use the valve you have listed from Ebay and then find a load cell. Then you can have the system convert fill level to fill weight and shut off when it hits the fill wieght.

I am using an electric ball valve on my rig. Here is a thread about it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/march-pump-control-question-151267/

You may not want to use that asco. The problem with a solenoid valve is it will auto return. So you can not keep it at a measured flow. When you disconnect power it will automatically return to full open or closed.

You want a proportional valve or floating control. Proportional will vary the opening based on the position of the dial. Floating control will hold the last position it was in when it had power.

So far so good. I did my first water testing with mine last weekend. The valve is not that linear but it will still work well. Here is a crappy video of the action.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZBhgpQXZSY[/youtube]

Back