Anyone tried "Holiday Cheer" from the Joy of Home Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjn12

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tried this recipe. I'm looking for a spicy christmas-y beer for my friends and family to enjoy that isn't too dark. Not many of them like full flavored dark beer or super hoppy IPAs like I do. This recipe seemed to fit the bill for something with moderate body and an interesting twist that makes it a little special for the holiday.

Here is the recipe in case you're not familiar:
7lbs plain light malt extract
1lb light honey
1/2lb crystal malt
2oz black malt
2oz Cascade hops
1/2oz Saaz hops
1oz freshly grated ginger root
6in stick of cinnamon
zest from 4 oranges
american ale type yeast

Any comments from someone who has tried this recipe or something close would be appreciated. I'd be brewing tomorrow or sunday and hopefully bottling by dec 1st to just be ready for our christmas party on the 23rd.

My brother in law just made this. It's in the primary and will be transferred in a few days. All I can say is, I can't wait! The wort smelled amazing when boiling and the sample taste from the hydrometer tube was actually very good...something that is unusual! It literally smelled like candy at the end of the boil. I'm looking forward to Christmas! Just try it!

The wort is cooling now, waiting to pitch the yeast before I go to bed. It really did smell great during the boil. I can't wait to try it.

Finally bottled on monday after two weeks in the primary. The FG was supposed to be around 1.017 (if I remember right) and I managed to overshoot that a little by getting it down to 1.014. OG was right on.

After having just bottled a somewhat disappointing True Brew IPA I was pleasantly surprised when I tasted this holiday ale. It was excellent - much like a Sam Adams winter ale but with a lot more flavor. I can't wait till this conditions - just in time for Christmas parties. This was my second brew and my first non-kit brew. What a difference.

I'll have to get home to my copy of Joy of Home Brewing for the hop additions. If someone else has a copy on hand feel free to post it.

3 days in the bottle, 18 more to go. At least when it was in the fermenter I could see the airlock bubbling. This is a TRUE test a patience.

Ok, hops schedule:
60 min on cascade
2 min on saaz

HA! I have 5 gallons of that about to bottle right now. I made it before in college, and it was great.

2 weeks in primary. Bottled one week ago.

Tasting at 1 week: Interesting. Orange, ginger and cinnamon all come through. Cinnamon is not spicy though - mostly just the aroma of cinnamon at the finish. Some strange bubblegum/fruity flavors much like I experienced in my first beer (also only 1 week old). I'm hoping those settle out with time - I know it is very young. Incredibly clear when you tilt the glass just a little. Not a lot of light getting through a full glass though, beer is a very dark amber. Cleaner and crisper than my true brew IPA kit - maybe thanks to the liquid yeast instead of dry? Very low carbonation thus far.

Looking forward to giving this one some more time and trying it out in 2 weeks. Just figured I'd keep the thread updated since there wasn't a lot of record as to how this one tastes on here.

This is a TRUE test a patience.

I brewed this beer ages ago. Turned out to be one of my better extract brews. BUT -- it took a lot of patience. A lot. I brewed in October, IIRC, and by Christmas it wasn't very good. I don't remember the exact timing of the tastings or the nature of the problem, but at some point I just gave up on the beer, put it in the basement, and forgot about it...

When the NEXT Christmas rolled around, the beer was AWESOME.

So if you think it's hard waiting a couple weeks for bottle conditioning...;)

Well I'm hoping it doesn't take that long. Hopefully three weeks is enough since I was hoping to have it ready for the family Christmas gathering.

haha... forgetting does not equal patience!!:D

i'll have to think about doing this in a few months and leave it be for next christmas

Anyone with experience with this recipe have any ideas on other adjuncts? I was thinking a half a pound of brown sugar during the boil? Also did anyone transfer to a secondary and add other spices during that time, such as a cinnamon stick for a few days etc? I plan on brewing this a week from now. 7-10 days in primary, a month in secondary then bottling.

I just brewed this batch today. I have pitched the yeast and about to put into fer mentor after this entry. I will keg in about 5-10 days depending on how long it takes for the fermentation to stop. I plane to keg after that and let condition until thanksgiving weekend or a few days before depends on my mood or if i am back from a possible short pre thanksgiving vacation. hope to see others how there's turned out. this is my 3rd homebrew making. first one was what my father-in-law called a keller and it did not turn out at all. we did not get a good seal on the keg. second batch was great and is what i am drinking as i type. hope this holiday cheer turns out good. like others said it smell great brewing. very dark to were i loose sight of a small mag light on the side of the plastic bucket fermentor less than half way down.

I make this recipe in February for the next Christmas. It's an exceptionally tasty beer.

i plan on brewing this again but i am going to do it all grain this time. i brewed it about 4-5yrs ago and it was my 3rd batch of beer i had made. i am going to do this one for a beer fest called jolly scull fest in jan in greenville,nc. so if anyone lives near greenville,nc come on down and have a brew with me on jan 28th 2015

Back