Pressure fermenting with Kveik Voss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaurez

Reaction score
I'm making a pale ale with Kveik Voss and someone suggested fermenting under pressure to make the beer clearer and provide carbonation, so this is my first time to give it a try.

I pitched the yeast this evening at 9:30pm with my tank's cooler set to 20-24°c and the pressure valve set to 0.4 bar (~5.8psi).

I read a post somewhere suggesting to leave it at this lower psi for the start of fermentation and then increase the pressure just before fermentation ends to allow carbonation.

Voss ferments super fast, so I expect I can increase the pressure tomorrow morning/afternoon.

Does anyone have any experience fermenting Voss under pressure, or can give me any tips about pressure fermentation in general?

Also, I plan to dry hop, so will the hop material negate the clarity from the pressure anyway?

I'm making a pale ale with Kveik Voss and someone suggested fermenting under pressure to make the beer clearer and provide carbonation, so this is my first time to give it a try.

Fermenting under pressure won't make beer clearer. It will carbonate the beer, as a function of the pressure toward/at the end of fermentation. Be aware that you can spund (toward the end) to carbonate without "pressure fermenting" per se the whole time. To figure out what pressure you'll need for carbonation, decide how many volumes of CO2 you want and consult a carbonation chart (same kind used for kegging) to find the PSI that aligns with your chosen CO2 level on the row that shows the temperature at which you're spunding.

Carbonatin-Chart.jpg

ETA: If your temp at the end of fermentation will exceed what's on the charts, use a calculator, like this one:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/

Fermenting under pressure won't make beer clearer. It will carbonate the beer, as a function of the pressure toward/at the end of fermentation. Be aware that you can spund (toward the end) to carbonate without "pressure fermenting" per se the whole time. To figure out what pressure you'll need for carbonation, decide how many volumes of CO2 you want and consult a carbonation chart (same kind used for kegging) to find the PSI that aligns with your chosen CO2 level on the row that shows the temperature at which you're spunding.
Thanks for sharing that chart. It's very helpful.

I have a spunding valve on my fermenter like this:

879ed216cff5a0fcb5d25e51eba111f.jpg
e8b87f76f7828a7426b2009b0c4c98b.jpg

My plan is to increase the pressure once the fermentation is finishing up then force the sediment out of the bottom.

Check out David Heath on YouTube. He talks about pressure fermenting with Voss in a session IPA video, if I recall correctly. Should be pretty easy to find.

Latest posts

Back