Anyone painted a kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrduna01

Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of my kegerator build and want to make some stencils of the Pittsburgh Steelers logo and paint it on the sides... Anyone know the best way of doing this?

save the image in black/white to a flash drive. Take it to kinkos and have them print it on something heavy. (cardstock, or plastic) make one copy for each color in the pic.

now cut the logos out, leaving an identical tab at the top/bottom of the stencils. this will help you line them up.
The first one will be your white inner cirlce.
The second will be your Steelers lettering.
The 3rd will be your yellow diamond
The 4th will be your blue diamond
The 5th will be your red diamond
You could combine the three diamonds onto one stencil, if you wished. as long as you remember to do each color separately.
The last one will be the outer grey/black ring.

Lay down your white, let dry.
Do your stenciled letters second. You may need a level to make sure that they are nice and even. Let dry
Do the diamonds. Since this design is rather simple, you will probably do alright with 1 stencil. Make sure that you are pressing on the stencil, and that you do not use too much paint, or else the paint will bleed under the stencil edges. Also try to swipe your brush from the outside of the stencil. Driving the brush towards the edge will make them look rough and uneven. Let Dry. I'd let each color dry, before working on the next.

Do your final outer ring, if you wish to, in whatever color you like. just remember, you can add more dark color onto light paint; but it is more difficult to lay white paint on top of dark colors.

You may need to go back and do some steady handed touch-up.

Awesome thank you for the help... Would spray paint work better for this? I also read to sand Dow any area being painted or it will chip... Is this necessary?

A good light scuffing wouldn't hurt. I'd probably use brush-on (with a foam brush) enamel paints method. Spray cans might work, but I have limited use with that method. You could use craft acrylic paint, but if you do, you NEED to use a sealer, or else it will come off with little effort

My suggestion:

Ditch your current logo. invest in 2 colors, buy a letter G and an oval. Paint the kegerator in green. next stencil the oval and paint yellow. then stencil the G inside the oval and paint that yellow as well.

Just curious why you couldnt just have kinkos or what ever print that logo on an adheisive sticker, that way you could apply it directly to the kegerator. rather than going through all of the work with stenciling etc. Just an idea. There was a recent post on here called teh gator-ator. same concept.

Awesome thank you for the help... Would spray paint work better for this? I also read to sand Dow any area being painted or it will chip... Is this necessary?

hunt down some UMA (manufacturer is XIM) or Stix (from Insl-X)
it'll stick to anything from plastic to glass and porcelain.
your local Benjamin Moore store will probably have the stix (insl-x is owned by them now, so they're being pushed to sell insl-x products), google should be abel to find you some UMA

I used chalk board paint and draw a new logo on the side every month or so. It's also nice to write what's on tap...

Back