Anyone made applejack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made some applejack last year with 1 gallon of hard cider I fermented. I used a plastic jug to freeze the cider then just poured the concentrated liquid into a glass container. I then filled several bottles straight from the glass container.

When transferring the frozen concentrate I was surpised how fast it came out. I figured it would drip, but it practically poured out of the ice. If I was going to do it again I think I'd pour the concentrate into another plastic container, do another freeze, then bottle. It tastes fine. Still tastes like cider, but has a bit of an alcohol burn. My best guess is the abv is around 16%

If I sweetened my still Apfelwein when I bottled it, would this cause complications if I tried this?

If your still apfelwine had no yeast of any kind left, or you stabilized it, no problem. If you added more sugar than needed to carbonate, please be very careful. Glass grenades are dangerous. I make applejack all the time; I currently have a just apple, and an apple-cherry blend whose first fermentation has stopped. Tomorrow or the day after, I will add more FJC to both batches, and see how it tastes then. I will probably try try to max out the ABV% before I put them in the freezer, I don't know if the tartness of the cherries will come through after freezing.

Well, excuuuuuuse me! j/k

Hey TimBeers, every time I make applejack it never wants to pour right out of the jug. Okay maybe 1/2 cup, and the rest takes a couple of hours usually. How many days was your a/j in the freezer, and/or was it a freezer attached to a fridge?

I made apple jack from 1gal apple wine about 12%abv. Put in freezer in 2lt Pepsi bottles 24hrs they froze solid. I let them drain in a small bucket for about 2 hrs. Only got 2lts from 1gal of wine but it is awesome !! Intensed the apple flavor and alcohol %!!

Another question, I heard that freeze concentrating alcohol is illegal in the united states and I can't find hardcore proof of this, does anyone else know if it is illegal? and also, would distilling it be a better choice then freeze concentrating it?

Another question, I heard that freeze concentrating alcohol is illegal in the united states and I can't find hardcore proof of this, does anyone else know if it is illegal? and also, would distilling it be a better choice then freeze concentrating it?

Freeze concentrating is legal. Distilling (bad word on these fora) is illegal without the relevant federal permits.

Well distilling is definitely illegal, but the two are literally polar opposites.

In distilling you are concentrating the alcohol by removing it from solution by evaporation. Leaving behind all your other stuff.

In freeze concentration you are concentrating the alcohol by removing the water in its solid form.

Freeze concentrating is legal. Distilling (bad word on these fora) is illegal without the relevant federal permits.

Thanks for the clarity,I won't be using the word again, I've heard that freeze concentrating is bad because of large amounts of fusel and methanol alcohols being added into the applejack along with the ethanol, does anyone know if this is true or a myth?

Where would they come from? Freezing isn't going to chemically alter anything, just concentrate it a bit by removing some of the water.

Unless you had large amounts of fusel and methanol alcohols in there to begin with, they won't be coming out after you freeze it.

Where would they come from? Freezing isn't going to chemically alter anything, just concentrate it a bit by removing some of the water.

Unless you had large amounts of fusel and methanol alcohols in there to begin with, they won't be coming out after you freeze it.

I've heard that when the ethanol alcohol is increased the other ones are, but you make a good point, maybe they were in there but now they're just concentrated? I don't know for sure how it all works.

Well, excuuuuuuse me! j/k

Hey TimBeers, every time I make applejack it never wants to pour right out of the jug. Okay maybe 1/2 cup, and the rest takes a couple of hours usually. How many days was your a/j in the freezer, and/or was it a freezer attached to a fridge?

I checked my notes and froze the applejack for a week. My freezer is built into the top part of my fridge. I'm guessing you have a colder freezer. The notes also say it flowed out of the ice quickly. I got 4 375ml bottles out of a gallon.

I checked my notes and froze the applejack for a week. My freezer is built into the top part of my fridge. I'm guessing you have a colder freezer. The notes also say it flowed out of the ice quickly. I got 4 375ml bottles out of a gallon.

Well how did it taste!? don't keep us in suspense!

One more rant on the whole methanol thing... Methanol is produced in some form or another in all types of fermentation, even your 5.4% ABV hard cider has some. There is discussion that pectin forms methanol during fermentation; before you could ingest enough methanol from hard cider to hurt you, you would die of ethanol poisoning first. Is this question finally answered clearly enough? For the new and un-initiated cider maker, the whole cider/methanol scare thing needs to stop. Can we please stop now? No more methanol scares? Although I am not proud to admit it, one night I killed a 20 oz bottle of applejack. I am proud to say, I had zero trouble the next day; no headache, no dry mouth, no classic side effects of ethanol over-indulgance, and zero sickness of any kind from methanol exposure.
My freezer is currently at -11*F, and after three or four days in the freezer, a very syrupy high proof float occurs on top of the ice. I have no idea what the actual proof of it is, but it is strong, and smooth. Oh, and by the way, aging applejack in a cool dark place for a few months (or longer), really makes a difference.

I currently have 6 gallons of different ciders destined to become applejack. I ferment my ciders into the 16-18% ABV range before freezing. I add 4 cans of FAJC to each gallon of cider. The first 2 quarts or so, are bottled and laid down to age (for as long as possible anyway), and when the ice is no longer "tan" colored after draining a while longer (maybe a pint or so), I put it in the fridge for my wife and I to drink later. I let the left over ice melt completely and re-freeze to get out what little alcohol is left to use for medicinal purposes. Ask Granny Clampett.

Does or has anyone ever put raisins in their fermenting cider, and if so what was the result? And if so, did you make applejack with it?

SO, I tried this by pouring four bottles of uncarbed cider into a sanitized bowl, covered it with saran wrap, and put it in the freezer. The next morning, I had a nearly solid, barely slushy, bowl-shaped ice cube. Rolling it out of the bowl and suspending it on a baking rack yielded about six ounces of applejack. It smells good, but I was hoping for more yield, for sure.

So, what's the trick? Do I need to do this on a day that I have time to kill and can check it every hour or so, scraping off the ice as it forms? Do I need better temperature control: set the freezer to 30 degrees, remove ice, set it to 28 degrees, remove ice, etc...?

Back