Anyone know a good 120V Induction Burner for 5g batch brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Nino

Reaction score
Title says it all. What I'm looking for is possibly creating a work area where I can brew, but not have to use the stove. I see a bunch of 120V / 1800W burners on Amazon, but don't know which of those can handle a 10g kettle with 7+ gallons of liquid on top of it (most say 20 lbs max, which I'm sure that kettle weighs more than that when half full).

I don't have easy access to a 220V outlet so that's out of the question (yeah yeah I know, faster boiling with it).

I set up in a small area in my laundry room and use the 240v dryer tap. If that’s not available, you could build a frame of sorts around the induction cooktop to hold the weight of the kettle and contents (leaving fan vents open).

Hey Brah, Check your Fuse Box and see if you can add a 220v fuse in there. Run the 10 gauge (I think it is) to where you want to Brew. You can run 220 for a good 30 feet before you might have to go larger. All Fuse Boxes are tied to the exterior wall... encase it in galvanized pipe, make up box, electrical aisle HD. Put a socket on it and done Kapow!

I do not think you will get 120v to boil 10g....and I read a long thread where Grainfather was being MF'd up and down.
They make stand alone plug in burners but 120v and again doubt 10g boil maybe 180º f should work, but might have to leave hops in longer at end..Not sure lowest I've done was 200º

OR Propane Burner with 5 gal tank to refill...

Hey Brah, Check your Fuse Box and see if you can add a 220v fuse in there. Run the 10 gauge (I think it is) to where you want to Brew. You can run 220 for a good 30 feet before you might have to go larger. All Fuse Boxes are tied to the exterior wall... encase it in galvanized pipe, make up box, electrical aisle HD. Put a socket on it and done Kapow!

I do not think you will get 120v to boil 10g....and I read a long thread where Grainfather was being MF'd up and down.
They make stand alone plug in burners but 120v and again doubt 10g boil maybe 180º f should work, but might have to leave hops in longer at end..Not sure lowest I've done was 200º

I don't know jak about setting up electrical haha, that's the problem. And everything in Hawaii is expensive. If the job costs over 300 bucks I might as well just keep using my stove, which could boil 7g's just slow to get there. I was just hoping the induction burner could do what my stove does, so i could free the stove up. Not boiling 10g, 10g is my kettle size, I likely will be boiling 6.5-7 gallons

I heat 8.5 gal and boil 7 gal with a 3500 w induction cooktop. It still takes a while. You could use a 1800w and run a heat stick off a separate circuit. Or you could boil less volume on a 1800w and top up with water to desired OG.

I don't know jak about setting up electrical haha, that's the problem. And everything in Hawaii is expensive. If the job costs over 300 bucks I might as well just keep using my stove, which could boil 7g's just slow to get there. I was just hoping the induction burner could do what my stove does, so i could free the stove up. Not boiling 10g, 10g is my kettle size, I likely will be boiling 6.5-7 gallons
Youtube Bradda.... Tell the Wahini to watch it and do it, she always says how smart she is...

It shouldn't cost $300 to do it, even in Hawaii, to run the 220v line.
Doesn't hurt to call an electrician and ask for a guestimate, as long as you can tell him if you have the space in the fuse box and how long a run it would need to be.
Otherwise, I would say to use the stove and get an 1800w heat stick to boost it.
there isn't an induction that will boil that much on 110v. lots of math and electronic stuff there, so I can't explain the who thing - it's just not enough energy getting transferred.

I was thinking of a heating stick, and then it dawned on me, I have a SS brewtech 10 gal kettle with no thermowell (so the slot where the thermometer would be isn't being used). Anyone know some heating elements that would fit it that I could throw in there? I never got a thermometer since I thought it wasn't really practical other than for aesthetic reasons.

You can get 240v from 2 different 120v outlets that are on a different phase. It requires some electrical know how and wiring to make yourself an adapter, a quick google search should show you how it’s done. It’s definitely not better than a new 240v line from the breaker box, but depending on your situation, it’s an option. It shouldn’t be attempted if you aren’t fully confident in what you’re doing.

8/3 w ground would be more appropriate for all things 220v to run anything we would need.

I set up in a small area in my laundry room and use the 240v dryer tap. If that’s not available, you could build a frame of sorts around the induction cooktop to hold the weight of the kettle and contents (leaving fan vents open).
sounds like my rig

i like that . do you use this???

No. I use a 1650 ULWD foldback element in a RIMS tube for mash steps. I boil on a 220v induction cooktop — I run an extension cord from the dryer tap to my work bench.

C421A1D0-0D5F-467B-83D1-6D30C5D63FE8.jpeg

Last edited:
No. I use a 1650 ULWD foldback element in a RIMS tube for mash steps. I boil on a 220v induction cooktop — I run an extension cord from the dryer tap to my work bench.

View attachment 638249
nice where did you get the induction cooktop and how much was it...also is that 30 amp 220v?
I'm brewing the wifes hef today - my 3rd one , but second NB AG exactly as is. She really liked it and is down to a single bottle left. Needless to say she was in super survival critical supply.

It is 30 amp 220v. Behind me in that photo is my dryer. I got a rated extension cord to route around the perimeter of the room, unplug the dryer, and plug this in on brewday.

I got the cooktop from Amazon. I believe it was ~$250 (don’t recall exactly). There are cheaper options I believe.

Latest posts

Back