Induction Cooktop Recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownyard

Reaction score
Looking to get off of the stovetop. Was thinking of propane, but not having to buy it, as well as not being able to bring it inside if need be, has me considering induction instead. Besides, my 22 qt brewpot is induction ready. I'd only be using it for 3 to 4 gallon batches. I'm limiting to 1800W units for use with standard outlets. After a ton of research, I've narrowed it down to these three, which would all appear to do the job, and handle the weight of my batches. Any input?

Max Burton 6600 Looks neat because of the larger cook surface, and the temp probe, but reviews aren't particularly reassuring.
https://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-6...=1660585909&sprefix=induction,aps,133&sr=8-59
Duxtop P961LS/BT-C35-D https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G9YKPQ...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
Avantco IC 1800 https://www.webstaurantstore.com/av...DlMPJCAwhMU0kiVd2CkMebitbnJeEzWwaAghJEALw_wcB

I can't speak for the other ones, but I have the bigger Avantco, the IC3500, and |I heartily recommend it. The 1800 is very similar to mine, though obviously less power. It'll hold plenty of weight, and mine will get 7+ gallons to a boil in around 20 minutes. |I'd think the smaller would do comparitively for smaller batches. I hear the 1800 will just barely work for 5 gallon batches, but it needs insulation and such to make it.

I can't speak for the other ones, but I have the bigger Avantco, the IC3500, and |I heartily recommend it. The 1800 is very similar to mine, though obviously less power. It'll hold plenty of weight, and mine will get 7+ gallons to a boil in around 20 minutes. |I'd think the smaller would do comparitively for smaller batches. I hear the 1800 will just barely work for 5 gallon batches, but it needs insulation and such to make it.
Thanks, I've downsized from 5 gal batches to 3 gal for various reasons, and I'm hoping of taking advantage of the reduced batch size to use 120v for more brewing location options.

I use the Duxtop P961LS/BT-C35-D.
it has a max weight limit of 65 lbs.
I do BIAB and mash about 7 lbs of grain in 5 gallons of water.
I am boiling about 4.75 gallons and put 3 gallons in the fermenter. By itself it might boil but not very hard boil.
So I have added 2 silicone drum heaters from Mcmaster Carr.
They are each 720 watts and attach with self adhesive.
1800 watts + 1440 watts. I need 2 separate 20 amp circuit’s.
4484D8A3-728E-4733-9608-9A957131A9B1.jpeg

It boils so hard today I thought my hefe would boil over!
The Duxtop is great but you might not be happy with how hard it boils.

I use the Duxtop P961LS/BT-C35-D.
it has a max weight limit of 65 lbs.
I do BIAB and mash about 7 lbs of grain in 5 gallons of water.
I am boiling about 4.75 gallons and put 3 gallons in the fermenter. By itself it might boil but not very hard boil.
So I have added 2 silicone drum heaters from Mcmaster Carr.
They are each 720 watts and attach with self adhesive.
1800 watts + 1440 watts. I need 2 separate 20 amp circuit’s.View attachment 778475
It boils so hard today I thought my hefe would boil over!
The Duxtop is great but you might not be happy with how hard it boils.
That's the one I ended up going with. Did a test run with water, then used it for a porter this past weekend. It's slower than my electric stove top, even with a layer of reflectix, but for my 3 Gallon batch sizes, I reckon it'll do.

I did have trouble controlling mash temp. At 152º, I killed the power, and threw a towel on top of it. I came back after 25 minutes, and found the temp had actually risen to 180º! I threw in some ice and cold water to bring it back down to the 160º range, but figured the damage was probably already done, and just proceeded with the boil. The resulting wort was sweet, and tasted about right, and the OG wasn't too far off. Unfortunately, I only had a pack of Windsor. Fermentation took off pretty quick, but slowed down substantially after about 30 hours, with little to no krausen showing. I'll take a gravity reading in a couple of days, but not sure if the batch was ruined in the mash yet or not. Finger's crossed.

Lesson learned: take the pot off of the cook top during mash.

I run a recirc pump during mash and need to keep it at a 2 setting.
I have no insulation just the lid.
I don’t understand how temp could rise.

Back