1800W Induction Burner - How many watts are safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekp83

Reaction score
I have an 1800W induction burner that I've used for about a year now, but I typically don't go above 1500W. On a traditional 15 amp circuit, which is 1800W, how much can I safely use? I understand there's an 80% recommendation for long-term (3 or more hours, which I won't need anyway), but I see a lot of people talk as if they're using max power. Thoughts?

I think..

A 15amp circuit should support the full 1800 Watts. However if anything else is on that same circuit then that draw also counts in the 1800.

Hopefully your circuit breaker will tell you when you've exceeded what is safe.

But if you are using a extension cord it might burn up before the breaker trips if it's too long or not rated for the current.

"It" being the extension cord.

I think..

A 15amp circuit should support the full 1800 Watts. However if anything else is on that same circuit then that draw also counts in the 1800.

Hopefully your circuit breaker will tell you when you've exceeded what is safe.

But if you are using a extension cord it might burn up before the breaker trips if it's too long or not rated for the current.

"It" being the extension cord.
I should mention my extension is rated for I believe 1625W. I could buy an extension rated for 1800W alternatively, but I think to be on the safe side, I still with 1500W from induction burner and get some Reflectix.

Depending on where you brew and how your house or whatever is constructed, it might not be too much to have a dedicated 20amp circuit put in.

Of course if you can't get the burner close enough to the new outlet you still have that underrated extension cord to deal with.

Or better discuss with the electrician about putting in 240volt and sizing the circuit for your future purchase of that 3500watt electric burner!

I assumed you to be from the USA with 120volts. So if you are elsewhere my original answer will be wrong.

Last edited:
As long as your house is wired to Code, just do a test boil with it on max for the length ot time you'll need and feel the cord and plug with your hand. The greatest point of resistance is at the plug. If it gets hot at the connection, it is a risk to use - stop and get a heavier gauge cord... if it only gets a little warm, you're most likely good to go.

Most newer U.S. homes are 20A, not 15A. That may be why you see people claiming to run at full power.

You say your extension cord is 1625W though, so that's your limiting factor: do not exceed 1625W.

Back