Anyone have a Genesse 12 Horse Ale Clone Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmulerulz

Reaction score
When I was stationed at Dover Air Force Base back in the 80s I drank a lot of Genesse 12 Horse Ale. Living in TN I can't find it and was wondering if anyone from the East Coast had a clone or any ideas. I've searched for a while to find a recipe on all my usual sites I use for recipes I can't find one reference to it.

I know it isn't the greatest drinker in the world but I would really love to try to see if I could recreate a youthful memory of getting kicked by the horse. :rockin:

Can't help with a recipe but, I don't think they make it anymore. Last I saw it was last year. It only comes in their "special" heritage type sampler case. I asked someone about it. He said it was the only way you can get it. This is with PA's case laws.

Other than that, never had it and can never try it. Good luck on it though.

They supposedly started to make/distribute it again recently beside just the specialty packs. Google was full of articles about this when I was looking for a recipe. For me this beer is a bunch of fond memories including drinking it on the night I met my SWMBO. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer is the closest things I've managed to make to my 25 yr old memories so if anyone has made that and had 12 Horse let me know.

My and my buds drank enough Genesse 12 Horse Ale to float an aircraft carrier around "back in the day". :tank:

I wouldn't mind seeing a clone recipe too if anyone has one.

https://www.geneseebeer.com/beer/genesee-12-horse-ale/
Why not bring this back to life, eh? Brewed with 6-row and hops from yakima valley using a proprietary top-fermenting english yeast. I've been dying to try this beer, but miss it whenever it has been re-released. I'm thinking:

- 80-90% 6-row barley (maybe even 100%)
- rest flaked corn and/or rice and a touch of carapils?
- "yakima valley hops" so I'd have to assume to noble american varieties (Crystal for bitterness and flavor?)
- a clean and dry fermenting english strain. Possible Fermentis s04 at cooler temps to reduce fruitiness.

I've never brewed with 6-row but have been contemplating brewing up a pre-prohibition lager. After coming across an old 12 horse ale bar tap at a thrift shop I've become inspired.

Wow this is a old memory, thanks for digging it up. Homebrew has changed my taste buds a lot over the last 9 years since the OP. I have brewed some outstanding blondes over the years that have met the need for this recipe. But if I can ever find it since I still look for it at the stores around here that sell Genesee. I will jump all over it for the wonderful memories.

In my Navy flying days I had a G.I.B. (guy in back) who was from Upstate N.Y. and was a Syracuse grad. He LOVED him some Genesee Cream Ale and Genney 12 Horse. He made me into an acolyte, if not fanboie, of the brand. Sure would appreciate a clone recipe if anyone has one.

Back