Anyone ever try using one of these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
aquafinacooler.jpg
[/IMG]

Yeah, we had one at our old house to keep beer in at parties. Is it deep enough to fit a carboy? Throw a blanket on top and an ice bottle inside, you may have yourself a fermentation chiller!

I have one similar to this in the garage that I picked up from my wife's grandfather. Every time I pass it I tell myself to see if a carboy would fit, but still haven't tried. I'd be slightly worried about the weight of the carboy. Not sure if it's meant to hold that much weight, but only one way to find out.

well, if you consider the weight of liquids with a similiar density to water, along with ice, I'd bet that thing will support some weight.

I'm picking it up this weekend. Talked to the seller and he lives about 2 minutes from me. Even better, it has a spigot on the bottom so as the ice melts, i can drain the water and keep topping off with ice. I'm going to build an insulated top for it with a plexiglass window and a port for a temperature probe.

I'll post the pic's when we put it all together.

NoClueBrewMaster said:
Even better, it has a spigot on the bottom so as the ice melts, i can drain the water and keep topping off with ice.

Don't do that, you'll go through ice like nobody's business. Let it stay as an ice/water mix for a while before you drain it. It'll stay cold longer than you think.

Bernie Brewer said:
Don't do that, you'll go through ice like nobody's business. Let it stay as an ice/water mix for a while before you drain it. It'll stay cold longer than you think.

Agreed. An ice bath is more effective that just ice, anyhow.

TL

iggy_fenton said:
Looks like it would be a PITA to get a full carboy SAFELY in and out of there...maybe with a brewhauler or other type of harness.
and that my friend is what carboy handles are for..

Arneba28 said:
and that my friend is what carboy handles are for..

Carboy handles should not be used with full carboys. The brewhauler is the safest way to go. It's a nylon harness that straps under/around the carboy so that the load is evenly distributed and not a point load at the neck.

Jamo99 said:
Carboy handles should not be used with full carboys. The brewhauler is the safest way to go. It's a nylon harness that straps under/around the carboy so that the load is evenly distributed and not a point load at the neck.

+1 on that...and unfortuneatly I speak from experience. If you try to lift a full carboy with one of them handles that go around neck, you'll snap the top right off of it. Not only did I have to buy a new carboy, I had to jettison 5 gallons of a tasty stout due to not knowing how much, if any, glass was in it. The handles that go around the neck are made for moving around empty carboys.

Been lifting a carboy with a handle for 7 years with no problems. Of course I support the bottom with a hand/arm, but never had an issue.

I agree that a carboy handle is usefull when moving a carboy out in the open when you can support the bottom, but there doesn't look like a lot of clearance to keep your arm around it while slipping into that thing. Just an observation.

Ya, I'm obviously not gonna drain water and ice, however it will be nice to leave the carboy in there when I'm doing ice exchanges. As far as the handles go, I haven't had an issue yet, however like others stated, I support the bottom as well. I might have to get the caddie to use this thing...

i have a killian's one that looks to be pretty similar. it fit my better bottle perfectly, with just enough space to fill with water and drop in some 20oz gatorade bottles filled with water and frozen. used it for lagering, and was able to maintain a 40* temp pretty easily.

the drain works great when you're done with it... i just set mine in the shower stall and let it do all the work. $25 is a steal.

Back