Today's Clever Idea to Reduce Early Foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. In my crude setup the gas, picnic tap(s), or on-keg tap faucet, etc. are all inside the fridge so it's all cooled to same temp.

Hmmmm, you've got me curious as to how cold you could get it that way and wondering if propane would be cheaper. :p
Have you tried just rubbing down the tap with an ice-cube?

Try this on your next "first pour":
  • start with a wet glass
  • "slide" two ounces of beer into your tilted glass
  • hold the glass in place and wait 5 seconds or so
  • slide the rest of your pour into your glass, tilting upright at the end
See how that works for you. I've found it largely tames head formation otherwise caused by warm faucets and/or glasses.

My keezer does have a tower air-cooler, and I have a cold water rinser tray, so I don't know how "portable" that tactic might be...

Cheers!

I honestly thought everyone knew about this. You can use it for things like breaking locks.

I should definitely be using wet glasses. Something about getting a glass beer clean and then hosing it in the sink bugs me.

I’ve never needed a drink to be cold that quickly and considering those cans of “air” average $6-10 each, that’s a hard NO for me.
In regards to cooling the faucet, I use a similar procedure as @day_trippr . I pour a couple ounces and either drink it, foam and all, or just wait a few moments to let it settle before filling the glass. I’m not in that big of a hurry to get a drink and I don’t make a living optimizing the number of pours I do per hour or day. A wet glass does help also, as it can reduce the possibility of unwanted nucleation sites as well as cooling the glass.

I wouldn't recommend chilling drinks with it, except maybe to impress people at barbecues. The video was only for the purpose of showing what dust spray can do, because people here clearly had no idea. It will work on anything you want to freeze or chill in a big hurry. Some people use them on large bugs instead of stepping on them. People use it to get rid of warts, too. You can use it to shrink a metal part before press-fitting it.

Last time I bought this stuff, I paid $5 per can, and I got 4. Maybe it has gone up since 2021. I expect to run out some time in 2028. Takes about 2 seconds to chill a faucet.

The video surprised me, because I would have expected it to shatter a glass bottle.

I admit, I used dust spray to chill a Coke once. Pizza was coming out of the oven, and I had forgotten to put the can in the fridge.

The video was only for the purpose of showing what dust spray can do, because people here clearly had no idea.

That's slightly presumptuous. ;)

I'm well aware it blows out really cold juice when upside down. I've used it to chill electronic components for diagnostic purposes, but I don't chill beer faucets with it so I answered "No" to your question.

Last edited:
Your short answer reminds me of a joke I heard back when I was a grad student, studying physics.

An engineer, a physicist, and a mathematician are walking down the road, and they see a black cow. The engineer says, "All cows are black." The physicist says, "THAT cow is black." The mathematician says, "It's black on one side."

Back