Anyone Ever Try Brewing in a Pumpkin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billc68

Reaction score
I was chatting about homebrewing with a guy last night, he said years ago he made "Pumpkin Rum". Basically added brownsugar, Molasses and water to a gutted pumpkin, tossed in some strong yeast and let it brew. He said the yeast ate all the fruit in the pumpkin to the point you could see through the skin. Then without touching it they poke a hole in the side and let the booze flow.

This intrigued me, anyone else try this, heard of this? Could try various melons and gourds, might be a neat mead experiment or a wine or beer.

Yeah there's actually several treads on here from about 3 years ago.

This might be one of them (from the similar threads box) https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/pumpkin-brewing-literally-42827/

I'll do some more digging. I know there's also an site on it outside of HBT.

:mug:

Actually that contains a link to someone mashing in a pumpkin but I know there's also thread links on fermenting in one as well.

It was at some brewpub if I recall correctly.

I did this once with wine; came out pretty lousy, but I didn't age it nearly long enough. I figured that even young it would be better than what the old farmer I learned about it from recommended: bread yeast and sugar water. Bleh.

I'd think a beer would work much better than a wine, as the pumpkin would hold up through the entire fermentation for beers not requiring extended aging.

The tricky part might be sanitizing after scraping out the guts. With the wine I made, the must went in after boiling, which would have sanitized the pumpkin. With beer, I suppose you could fill the pumpkin with boiling water, dump, add wort, and go from there, or just do a no-chill batch. Then just add yeast when cool, seal the lid on with wax (the seal will break, of course, but it helps keep things from getting through any gaps), and wait.

I did this once with wine; came out pretty lousy, but I didn't age it nearly long enough. I figured that even young it would be better than what the old farmer I learned about it from recommended: bread yeast and sugar water. Bleh.

I'd think a beer would work much better than a wine, as the pumpkin would hold up through the entire fermentation for beers not requiring extended aging.

The tricky part might be sanitizing after scraping out the guts. With the wine I made, the must went in after boiling, which would have sanitized the pumpkin. With beer, I suppose you could fill the pumpkin with boiling water, dump, add wort, and go from there, or just do a no-chill batch. Then just add yeast when cool, seal the lid on with wax (the seal will break, of course, but it helps keep things from getting through any gaps), and wait.

Why would you sanitize the inside of a pumpkin? Should be clean, just use sanitized tools to scrape it out.

I remember a guy on the GotMead forum made some mead in a pumpkin once... and it supposedly came out pretty good. It'd be pretty great to do with a batch of beer.

Just when you think you are all done getting/making equipment...:cross:

This looks really cool. I may try the fermenting in the pumpkin as well but I do not have the time/money/patience yet to mash in one yet!

This MAY also be an epic party novelty. I am thinking a pumpkin barley wine (uncarbed) served out of a pumpkin with a spigot...If I actually do this I WILL take pics.

Just when you think you are all done getting/making equipment...:cross:

This looks really cool. I may try the fermenting in the pumpkin as well but I do not have the time/money/patience yet to mash in one yet!

This MAY also be an epic party novelty. I am thinking a pumpkin barley wine (uncarbed) served out of a pumpkin with a spigot...If I actually do this I WILL take pics.

You would have to serve it out of another pumpkin, as the first one will be "eaten" by the yeast. Ha, and it will likely start to ferment again in the new pumpkin, you could have a drink that is actively fermenting as it is being served.

I think it would be cooler to brew a watermellon beer inside a watermellon. Raw pumpkin kind of tastes weird and vegetal. Not something I would want my beer sitting in long term.

I think it would be cooler to brew a watermellon beer inside a watermellon. Raw pumpkin kind of tastes weird and vegetal. Not something I would want my beer sitting in long term.

I was thinking the same, however, hard to know where to stop when hollowing a watermelon. I suppose you could use the juice from the pulp and use it in your brew as well.

anyone ever try this with a stout? This sounds like something that would go way better with a stout/porter than an ale.

This was pretty popular last fall. Do some searching on Cask'O'Lantern and you'll find a lot of recipes, videos, etc. The general consensus is that it doesn't add a whole lot of pumpkin flavor by itself. Nevertheless it's a fun thing to do.

Back