Anybody else like brewing beer better than drinking it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im with you. I brew as often as I can, and I am swimming in beer. I have gone from 10 gallon batches back to 5's, because I cant drink through it all. I would give it away, but most of my friends are also brewers, so they have similar problems.

I am going to have to start dumping some I think. I have a 10 tap keezer, it has 10 kegs in it on tap, plus 2 more that fit that I never installed taps for. Plus I have 3 more kegs maturing in my garage.

I used to get rid of some beers by entering competitions, but have not done much of that in the last year sine changing jobs, and having a smaller salary than I used to.

I need to make some beer loving, non brewer friends near me I think...

I like making, sharing, and drinking. When I share and drink with friends they really like what I make but I tend to be overly critical and thinking where I can improve on it the next time.

I'm very much amenable to this sentiment.

Ironically enough I got into this hobby to cut down on my alcohol expense account. But for some reason or another, brewing speaks to me. To have so much control over the process and production of beer fits well within my detail oriented mind. I like absorbing the nuances of each ingredient and explore how they contribute to the overall beer profile. Researching new methods, recipes, and DIY equipment (drooling over Kal's electric brewery build atm) is really intriguing and extremely satisfying when I get it right. And each time I get a little further down the rabbit hole, it seems there's something more to explore.

I would much rather see friends and family enjoying my beer than drinking it myself.

I am not a drinker....oh, I may drink a couple of six packs a year if I need to or not! Since I started brewing, I drink about twice as much....maybe up to a couple of cases a year.....product testing you know.

I'd be real happy if I could brew and some else did the cleaning,bottling, and drinking. In fact, I don't understand why I brew....but, I do enjoy it. Wife thinks I'm nuts, but she always has, and she may be right.

My other serious hobby is shooting. That's fairly destructive. Perhaps the creativity of brewing is a sort of balance. nahhh....just like watching bubbles.

Im with you. I brew as often as I can, and I am swimming in beer. I have gone from 10 gallon batches back to 5's, because I cant drink through it all. I would give it away, but most of my friends are also brewers, so they have similar problems.

I am going to have to start dumping some I think. I have a 10 tap keezer, it has 10 kegs in it on tap, plus 2 more that fit that I never installed taps for. Plus I have 3 more kegs maturing in my garage.

I used to get rid of some beers by entering competitions, but have not done much of that in the last year sine changing jobs, and having a smaller salary than I used to.

I need to make some beer loving, non brewer friends near me I think...

I definitely don't have y'alls problem. Between thirsty neighbors, friends and relatives, most of mine is drank on a timely basis. And as I first stated, I'd brew more if I had the equipment. You guys need to join some non-beer groups and organizations. If I could brew more often, i would invite non brewing friends to join me on brew day to see how it works and them split the resulting beer with them. I can think of several guys who would be happy to get that invite.

I'm with you. Currently in the process of selling my 5 gallon brew setup and building a 1.5 gallon, induction BIAB so I can brew more often (and indoors). I'm much more interested in perfecting my process and recipes while having a small amount on hand. At this point, I drink maybe a couple beers a week.

I am right there with you. I moved from 5 or 10 gallon batches to 1 or 3 gallon ones using an induction burner just so I can brew more. My main issue is finding enough people to give my beer to. Don't get me wrong, I love beer but those days of drinking like it is my job are LONG GONE. My Brutus 10 system has been in mothballs for quite some time.

Count me as another one with you Tex. I drink a beer to 1-1/2 a night. Very rarely even on weekends, including this past SB weekend, do I have more than two in a day.
I love the process from planning to execution. Partly age, I'm 51, I'm into minimalism / simplification. I bought the Grainfather and love the all in one, simplicity. Setting up a dedicated organized area in the basement to further reduce setup and storage, gaining more time to develop beers. And with the GF, I look more forward to the brew days and running smaller, 2.5g test batches. Still plenty to give away. Plus leaves me time for my other hobbies, like bike riding, gotta work off calories you know even at lower consumption levels!,:)

Have 40 gallons of HBs in various stages, but drinking retails. 😝! Brewing is more like a challenge. Can I brew a great dipa? RIS? Somebody will hopefully like it. It's a performing art. I love to play the piano just to make music...to challenge myself to learn harder pieces. Brewing is similar. From time to time, like classical piano, maybe I can share something enjoyable to others. That's why I continue on..through the ups answer downs. And I'm in a down with beers right now but working on it.

I like drinking as much as I like brewing. I wouldn't be brewing otherwise... Do you like eating as much as you like cooking? I mean, seriously, what kind of question is this? Most people will say they like eating more than they like cooking. NO ONE will say they like cooking more than they like eating. And if they do, they're f*cking out of their minds.
It's just a matter of finding the balance of batch size for how much you drink and how often you like to brew. For some people brewing a 10 gallon batch a month works perfect for them. For others, a 2.5 gallon batch every weekend works for them. Or a 2.5 gallon batch every 2 weeks. Just depends how much you drink and how fast you want your beers to turn over. There's no "do you like brewing more than drinking". Seriously, let's face it, we all love to drink beer, catch a buzz, whatever, that's WHY WE BREW. There's no, "what do I do with all this beer, I'm a wimp and can't drink it all". FIGURE IT OUT. Brew. Drink. Don't be a p*ssy. End of story.

Prost!

I love brewing. I love drinking beer too but I really enjoy the whole creative process the most. Sharing my beer is a ton of fun too though. Brewing beer has all the fixins of a great hobby. The experience of the brew day, the story and reasoning behind the creation of the beer, etc... are all what makes home brewing better than just drinking beer.

I like drinking as much as I like brewing. I wouldn't be brewing otherwise... Do you like eating as much as you like cooking? I mean, seriously, what kind of question is this? Most people will say they like eating more than they like cooking. NO ONE will say they like cooking more than they like eating. And if they do, they're f*cking out of their minds.
It's just a matter of finding the balance of batch size for how much you drink and how often you like to brew. For some people brewing a 10 gallon batch a month works perfect for them. For others, a 2.5 gallon batch every weekend works for them. Or a 2.5 gallon batch every 2 weeks. Just depends how much you drink and how fast you want your beers to turn over. There's no "do you like brewing more than drinking". Seriously, let's face it, we all love to drink beer, catch a buzz, whatever, that's WHY WE BREW. There's no, "what do I do with all this beer, I'm a wimp and can't drink it all". FIGURE IT OUT. Brew. Drink. Don't be a p*ssy. End of story.

Prost!

Chill bro… Why all the anger? Did you even bother to read the first post, because you clearly didn’t read the whole thread? One of these days you will grow up and realize that lots of people drink beer regularly, and rarely get drunk. Sorry that you are still at that stage in your life where you think everyone else thinks exactly the same way as you, and if they don’t they’re wrong.

Prost!

Im a wimp and cant drink all this beer. Had to get another 4-level shelf since its piled up a lot more in the laundry room

Also, I do like cooking more than eating. I'll help out make a meal even if Im not going to be having any or not hungry. I just like cooking. Its a fun hobby

20151027_174603.jpg

Picture1.png

20151119_170205.jpg

hbt-bryan-4-2440.jpg

I like beer. Brewing it and drinking it. I'm at a point where I can't keep a pipeline of Hb to save my life, so I'm going to try to brew more often. Maybe even try to scale up my batches. I also give away at least 1/4 of what I brew, so maybe I'll stop doing that too.

I love to cook too, but I cook way more than I eat. I'd love to brew that way. Brew for five. Drink for two.

Things I like about brewing:

• Coming up with recipes
  • The smell of the grain as I weigh it out and mill it
  • The smell of the hops as I cut open the pouch
  • The smell of the mash as I dough in
  • The anticipation of that first taste of a batch
  • Pouring a 5-glass sampler flight of my own beers
  • Watching the bloop-bloop-bloop of the airlock of a new batch
  • Showing a novice the process
  • Sharing my homebrew with someone who appreciates good beer
  • Winning medals in homebrew competitions

Things I don't like about brewing:

• Opening my credit card bill
  • Lugging equipment up from the basement to the garage and back down
  • Cleaning
  • Bottling
  • Refilling a tank of propane/CO2
  • When a beer I was confident about does poorly in a competition
  • Brewing in the cold

If I could outsource everything on the second list, I'd probably brew every weekend.

Im a wimp and cant drink all this beer. Had to get another 4-level shelf since its piled up a lot more in the laundry room

Also, I do like cooking more than eating. I'll help out make a meal even if Im not going to be having any or not hungry. I just like cooking. Its a fun hobby

I predict a large number of friend requests coming your way soon, as folks in KY discover your delemma!

Chill bro… Why all the anger? Did you even bother to read the first post, because you clearly didn’t read the whole thread? One of these days you will grow up and realize that lots of people drink beer regularly, and rarely get drunk. Sorry that you are still at that stage in your life where you think everyone else thinks exactly the same way as you, and if they don’t they’re wrong.

I had this long response all typed up then I realized I didn't really care that much. We all do what suits us best. So brew smaller batches if you don't want to drink that much but still brew. And I did read the whole thread up to where I posted for your FYI...

Things I like about brewing:

• Coming up with recipes
  • The smell of the grain as I weigh it out and mill it
  • The smell of the hops as I cut open the pouch
  • The smell of the mash as I dough in
  • The anticipation of that first taste of a batch
  • Pouring a 5-glass sampler flight of my own beers
  • Watching the bloop-bloop-bloop of the airlock of a new batch
  • Showing a novice the process
  • Sharing my homebrew with someone who appreciates good beer
  • Winning medals in homebrew competitions

• Cleaning
  • Bottling
  • Brewing in the cold

If I could outsource everything on the second list, I'd probably brew every weekend.

Great post kombat! Thanks! I can relate to most of those, although I'm that rare odd duck who actually enjoys bottling. Can't wait for tomorrow morning when I will bottle my Frankenweizen. Oh, and since I'm in Houston, I'll replace your brewing in the cold with brewing in the heat! From mid June to the end of August I'll brew at most one batch. With 85 degree ground water, it will take about 30 lbs of ice to reach pitching temps. I LOVE brewing in Nov - Feb.

Great post kombat! Thanks! I can relate to most of those, although I'm that rare odd duck who actually enjoys bottling. Can't wait for tomorrow morning when I will bottle my Frankenweizen. Oh, and since I'm in Houston, I'll replace your brewing in the cold with brewing in the heat! From mid June to the end of August I'll brew at most one batch. With 85 degree ground water, it will take about 30 lbs of ice to reach pitching temps. I LOVE brewing in Nov - Feb.

Amen, i start ice collection a week before..

I'm a lab tech for a small chemical company so I find the the process and science/chemistry of brewing interesting. That said, i do love drinking beer. About to start my first batch today after work.

Sorry but I love all aspects of Beer, brewing, drinking,researching, and anything else involved. I'm proud to say ILOVE BEER :rockin::rockin:

Thanks for posting those pics m00ps... Future ammunition if my wife ever starts getting on my case..:D

I'm a lab tech for a small chemical company so I find the the process and science/chemistry of brewing interesting. That said, i do love drinking beer. About to start my first batch today after work.

Welcome to the hobby Oscar! (I read your other post) You're in the right place to advance your education. Read everything you can find here, and if you haven't yet, find a great Local Home Brew Store (there are many in the Houston area) and join a Home Brew Club. Ask anything you care to. This is a very accepting group and the vast majority here believe there are no dumb questions. (excpet for beersk, who thinks this thread is a dumb question) Any issues at all that you have, post your question on HBT and you will generally have answers almost immediately. The beginners forum is a wealth of fantastic information. I spent months in there before venturing out into any of the other forums.

Welcome to the hobby Oscar! (I read your other post) You're in the right place to advance your education. Read everything you can find here, and if you haven't yet, find a great Local Home Brew Store (there are many in the Houston area) and join a Home Brew Club. Ask anything you care to. This is a very accepting group and the vast majority here believe there are no dumb questions. (excpet for beersk, who thinks this thread is a dumb question) Any issues at all that you have, post your question on HBT and you will generally have answers almost immediately. The beginners forum is a wealth of fantastic information. I spent months in there before venturing out into any of the other forums.

Appreciate the welcome and yea, I've been up and down the beginners forum for about two weeks trying to note things down. I haven't posted anything because most of the questions I've had have been answered before.

As for the clubs, I've been looking into them. Might join one later on.

Sort of but what's better than a great beer you made yourself, you know? I do find that I'm constantly thinking about brewing. That's probably normal, right? RIGHT?

I like this thread a lot and can identify with parts of it. I may not be old enough to want to stop drinking, but working a lot I only get 1-2 brews in a day if that, but my wife does the same. I do find myself wanting to brew more just b/c i want to try my hand at the next style. One thing i try to do is make styles that take varying amounts of time to mellow out just so i can let it set for a couple of months while sipping on my other batches.

• Cleaning
  • Bottling
  • Brewing in the cold

Great lists!
You can outsource a few of these if you go with an all in one system like the Grainfather.

....Oh, and since I'm in Houston, I'll replace your brewing in the cold with brewing in the heat! From mid June to the end of August I'll brew at most one batch. With 85 degree ground water, it will take about 30 lbs of ice to reach pitching temps. I LOVE brewing in Nov -Feb.

In your sweet spot now! Here in PA this weekend is cold- tops all weekend is 18, and windy! For cooling in heat I've had great success with my DIY double coil I/C in summer (75+ tap temp) that I switch over to ice water supply after 5min on tap water. 5-6g done in 15min. Plus use a ferm chamber to assist, or, dare I say, no chill! Amazing stories from those Aussie brewers! Now I'm using the GF, yup brewing this weekend inside, and a CFC, super quick (esp w/50') ground water..

Anyone who likes brewing more than drinking must not be drinking a DEM.

Ok, I'll bite. What's a DEM?

I like this thread a lot and can identify with parts of it. I may not be old enough to want to stop drinking, but working a lot I only get 1-2 brews in a day if that, but my wife does the same. I do find myself wanting to brew more just b/c i want to try my hand at the next style. One thing i try to do is make styles that take varying amounts of time to mellow out just so i can let it set for a couple of months while sipping on my other batches.

I think we all can relate to that, except old enough to stop drinking!! Slow yes, stop I think is out! :)

Back