Any trouble getting blueberries to cold crash out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
Anyone have trouble with blueberries not dropping out in cold crash?? I've had a carboy cold crashing since Friday night (almost 3 days). Some of the berries have dropped out but the majority of them have not.

Got my kegerator as cold as it'll go (which, at last check, was around 36-38ish). I need to rack this beer to the keg sooner rather than later.

I'm tempted to just rack anyway and hopefully my siphon won't clog. I'm confident at least the majority of yeast has dropped out by now.
Anyone have this trouble? I've never had any other fruit take this long to drop out.

Blueberries tend to float. Even dried ones usually float. I know of at least a couple breweries that drop a tablespoon or so into blueberries beer in glasses and they float around. Have to crush them up/juice them to avoid it.

Blueberries tend to float. Even dried ones usually float. I know of at least a couple breweries that drop a tablespoon or so into blueberries beer in glasses and they float around. Have to crush them up/juice them to avoid it.

Thanks! I think I'm gonna go ahead and rack this guy.

I'm tempted to just rack anyway and hopefully my siphon won't clog.

You can wrap the tip of the siphon in mesh to keep it from clogging.

@day_trippr's picture:
attachment.php

Back