Any Tampa brewers have problems with water quality?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrakeSuperbus

Reaction score
My first brew has a metallic aftertaste. I've done some searching, and while there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on what causes the metal twang, some people have said that water quality can be the culprit.

I'm trying to eliminate possible sources one by one, so I thought I would see if any other Tampa brewers have had problems using city water for brewing.

Have you looked up the water quality report for Tampa? Use that information in one of the Water-Brew calculators that are occasionally posted on the site. It should tell you whether or not the water is the issue.

You can get the water quality report from your city/county water site usually.

I have a filter so all my brew water runs through it. There is plenty of chlorine in city water. They say it goes away during the boil, assuming you are doing full boils, but I don't know. I have been to the city's water quality report site, but honestly didn't spend too much time dealing with it. Some day I might.

My first brew has a metallic aftertaste. I've done some searching, and while there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on what causes the metal twang, some people have said that water quality can be the culprit.

I'm trying to eliminate possible sources one by one, so I thought I would see if any other Tampa brewers have had problems using city water for brewing.

I live in Oldsmar and I have noticed the same taste in my first batch. For now I have switched to bottled spring water until I can get a RO filter or some other solution.

BTW what part of Tampa are you in?

FishH2o
:mug:

uh yeah dude. i live in largo and the water is NOT ACCEPTABLE. you could look in to water chemistry and try to change some things in it (something i have not tried). but i HAVE TRIED using a brita filter and ALSO had bad results with the water. im pretty sure our area has THE WORST TAP WATER IN AMERICA. if you want great results, do what i do...use bottled water. i use zephyrhills spring water. i gave up on our water long long ago.

I'm in the Carrolwood area.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I'll pick up some bottled water for my next batch to see what happens. If the metallic taste is back, then I know that the problem is me and can go from there.

I'm in the Carrolwood area.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I'll pick up some bottled water for my next batch to see what happens. If the metallic taste is back, then I know that the problem is me and can go from there.

Good luck, one thing if you still have the taste make sure you stop using bleach on your brew pot and stainless spoons. I know, it's a long shot but try everything at that point. When I discovered it I went to bottled water and sans tar. Let us know how it turns out.

Not to hijack or change the subject but are you a member of a brew club?

FishH2o

Is carrollwood on city water? I'm in S. Tampa. I can smell the chlorine when I turn on the shower.

I live in Tampa palms and I was wondering the same thing. I haven't been able to get a really clean hop taste. Metallic could a descriptor as I'm sipping my latest pale ale. I know that Tampa has REALLY hard water and that chlorine is very high. I manage an Olympic size pool for a living and after testing the tap chlorine it is high enough to even surpass board of health chlorine concentrations for swimming pools. Free chlorine reads a 3.0 in a pool test kit if anyone knows pool chemicals at all.

I've thought about going 50/50 with tap and distiller or RO just to retain the hardness. Anyone have suggestions?

Back